How to get zoomed images

pisean123

Have recently got D5200,While capturing images even in zoomed condition the picture sill does not appear zoomed after capture.
​Please guide...

Just-Clayton

Sounds like your using live view. The zoom is only for focus purposes. The shot will always be what lens you have and the mm set. If you have a 50mm lens on then the picture is at 50mm, no matter if you zoom in. Take it off live view and look through the view finder. What you see is the picture you will get.

Last edited:

nickt

Exactly what JC said. There is no 'digital zoom' like in some point and shoot cameras. But you can easily crop in post processing to give the same zoom effect. You could even do it in-camera, but its kind of a nuisance cropping in-camera. For best quality, avoid cropping too much, better to get closer or get a longer lens. The same could be said for digital zoom though, once you get beyond the ability of your lens and start zooming digitally, you are losing quality.

WayneF

Sounds like your using live view. The zoom is only for focus purposes. The shot will always be what lens you have and the mm set. If you have a 50mm lens on then the picture is at 50mm, no matter if you zoom in. Take it off live view and look through the view finder. What you see is the picture you will get.

I'm impressed! I did not understand the question either, but after hearing your explanation, it sure sounds right.

There are two aspects called zoom.

To change the photograph it takes, you zoom with the lens (assuming a zoom lens), rotating the lens barrel to a different focal length number. Even if using Live View, this new zoomed view will show in the LCD, and will be used. You rotate the lens to do this zoom (on zoom lenses). A quick test should show this.

Or you can "zoom" the picture on the rear LCD, which only changes just the view of that existing picture... This is a button on the rear of the camera, and it does not change the picture the lens takes, it just magnifies the view of the LCD. The purpose is that sometimes Live View focus is easier when zoomed in larger here.

Last edited:

Just-Clayton

The reason I sound so smart is because I just shot in live mode for some macro shots only a couple hours ago. I zoomed in to get a sharper focus.

pisean123

Thanx Clayton for the elaboration,actually previoulsy i was using Sony cybershot H7 and was of the opinion that images can be zoom captured as was with H7.
​any additional tips for the beginners...

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member
It sound like you need, at the least a 55-200mm or the 55-300mm. They are both excellent lenses for the money but I prefer the 55-300mm.

sent from my phone