Assign Fn Button menu different

yauman

I am trying to assign my Fn Button to be the FV lock so I follow the instruction in the D7100 menu -page 253.

But the option I get when I go to Menu->Custom Setting->Controls>Assign Fn Button, the selection I get is nothing like what is shown on the menu. None of the options are there except for the last 6 item.

Assigning the FV lock function works using the Assign Preview Button. Of course I would lose the use of the Preview Button for preview. Anyone see the same thing on their D7100?

​Thanks.

Last edited:

yauman

[If this shows up twice, my apologies - didn't log in properly last posting!]

Nikon needs to ramp up your tech support - it's really really horrible from the one experience I had just now. The person responding to my email inquiry and then the person responding by phone have absolutely NO idea what I want or what the problem nor does she understand the camera at all. Shameful!

Simple problem - I tried to assign my Fn button on my D7100 to be the FV lock button. So I followed the instruction on my manual page 253. The problem is the first 13 items of the list of options do not exist on my camera - only the last 6 which does not have the FV lock function. So, this is what I get from Nikon:

1. Email reply telling me to use different kinds of SD card - what the hell does the SD cards have to do with function not available as listed in the manual. (I suspect the manual is wrong or I needed a firmware upgrade.)

2.So I called.
a. The person answering the phone had no idea what I am talking about - she first asked me to press the Fn button and rotate the front and rear command dial. For what? It hasn't been programmed for anything.

b.Then she try to convince me that the FV lock function is available in the back of the camera using the AE-L/AF-L button. I had to explain to her what FV lock is and that it's used when TTL flash is used and that it has nothing to do with Exposure or Focus lock. It's a function to trigger the pre-flash to prevent subject from blinking on the actual flash.

c. Then after a hold she came back and told me to go thru the menu and assign the FV lock to the Pv button (which I already have in desperation.) So, I ask what am I going to do about Preview function - I want both FV lock and Preview.

d. After another hold, she came back and tell me I can assign the FV lock function to the AE-L/AF-L button. So, ok, I'll have to lose the AE-L/AF-L button. Finally, I asked her why I cannot assign FV lock function to the Fn button as page 253 of my D7100 manual indicates. She said the manual she's looking at is different and that it didn't show that FV lock function can be assigned to the Fn button.

Ok, so I have a mis-printed Nikon manual - but both the printed and the electronic version? Really. Ok, mistakes happens. But the fact that the support person at Nikon do not understand some very basic operations of the Digital SLR is very disturbing.

Step it up Nikon - train you support personnel properly.

If you have a D7100, please do me a favor and look at page 253 of you manual and see if you see the same thing as mine and then see if it correspond with your camera's available options.

Hrrrummphhh.. <grumble.. grumble> :mad:

Yau-Man

D7100 Fn Assign.jpg

nickt

I've curious what the problem turns out to be. I'm not sure why any of the d7100 owners here have not chimed in. I have a d7000 and I have FV and all the other choices that are listed in my manual. Have you tried resetting both the custom and shooting menus? Are there any firmware updates available for the d7100?

I understand your frustration with the support. Its not unique to Nikon. Many companies that I do business with have really bad email support. I swear they don't read the questions and just pick a random off the shelf answer from a menu. Sometimes you get the same bad service on the phone. I don't like calling tech support just to have someone read me the manual.

yauman

I have applied the latest firmware update already and nothing changed.

I'll take it to the full-service camera dealer I bought the camera from - maybe they have a direct line to Nikon as they are an authorized dealer. Will keep you all current when I get an answer.

Thanks.

yauman

Ok, so Nikon's got a problem. I went to the camera store where I bought my camera and ask to see another one and compare. Guess what - it behaved the same way as mine - ie the Custom Setting Menu to assign functions to the Fn button do not have the options as listed in the manual. I ask to see their manual and it's the same as mine. Just to make sure I have enough data, I went to a very high-end Full Service camera store next town over and ask to see a D7100 - and lo and behold, it too has the same 6 options for assigning the Fn button - not the 20 listed in the manual -and FV lock is not one of them. So, either Nikon needs to send out a firmware update or their manual is wrong!

So, if you have a D7100, check to see what options you have to assign your Fn Button and compare them to Page 253-254 on your manual.

Horoscope Fish

So, if you have a D7100, check to see what options you have to assign your Fn Button and compare them to Page 253-254 on your manual.
I didn't see all 20 options in the menu either at first; in fact I was only seeing four options. Then I scrolled down and once I did the menu "expanded" and a scroll bar appeared! Ah-ha! From that point on all 20 menu items appeared, including FV Lock, exactly as are shown in the manual. It also works if you scroll up, past what looks like the top of the menu.

It's worked the same for me a few times now so I'm thinking this is a some kind of menu-display error that could probably be fixed with a firmware update. Of course that will be up to Nikon.

Patrick M

I have assigned the FV Lock to the fn button with no issues.

For this I am in P mode.
firmware C 1.01, L 1.009

So
1. Menu
2. Select Custom Setting Menu
3. Select f.controls
4. Select f2 assign fn button
5. Select Press
6. Select FV Lock

Now look through the view finder 1/2 depress the focus/shoot button and press fn. nothing happens....pretty much as expected given the flash is off.
Press the flash button to raise the flash, focus again then press fn. you will now see the FV Lock icon at the lower left of the viewfinder.
Pressing fn several times and you'll see it go on and off. Leave in on then press the info button to read the LCD.
As far as I can see, there's no indication here nor in the small top info screen that he FV Lock is set.
Now press Lv to switch to live View. You will see the FV Lock icon at the very bottom left of the preview screen. Press fn to switch it off....the icon disappears. Switch off live view and you can confirm that the FV Lock is off in the view finder

What I can say is that you can only set the FV Lock on using the fn button when using the view finder but not when using Live View.