Composition #1: Open & Closed Composition

Horoscope Fish

Some Opening Remarks Before We Get Down to Business

Hi all... This post is an introduction for a series of threads I'm launching for this sub-forum which will center on foundational, compositional techniques and guidelines. For purposes of this tutorial I am referring to composition as the way the elements of a photograph are combined or arranged within the frame. Good composition strengthens a photograph and makes it interesting while a lack of composition makes a photo weak and confusing. I've heard a lot about "Rules of Composition" but what I'm discovering is that these "rules" are really guidelines and this is my preferred usage; "guidelines". I'd like to explore some of these Guidelines of Composition and how putting them to work in our shots can strengthen our photography. All that being said I do not claim to be an expert of any sort; I encourage discussion and opposing viewpoints. What follow are my thoughts and experiences, foibles and all; and everything I say now is subject to modification later. Heck I may even contradict myself. Bonus Point awarded if you spot me blatantly contradicting myself.

As photographers we do not enjoy the luxury of being able to explain our photo's; nor is it the job of our audience to interpret what our photos mean. Rather, it is incumbent upon us, as the photographer, to give our photos a crystal-clear "speaking voice". We do this, in large part, with composition. When looking at a scene with our naked eye our brain does a lot of heavy lifting we are not consciously aware of; it selects points of interest and interprets what it sees but our camera does none of this. The camera captures all that is before it indiscriminately which, if not controlled, leads to a busy, sloppy shot that lacks clear communication. If you took the shot there must be reason why. Something drew you to what you saw, and now you want me to see it too.

To this end every photo needs a subject. Without a subject what’s the point of the photo? Every photo has elements but not every photo has a clear subject. The difference between “element” and “subject” is importance. While all subjects are elements, not all elements are subjects. The “subject” is the photo’s raison d'être, its reason for being. Everything else in the frame is a subordinate element and is either enhancing your subject, by giving it relevance or context for example, or the element is detracting from your subject, most commonly by being irrelevant and therefore distracting. My first lesson in composition was explained to me as, “taking out the trash”.

This was my instructors colorful way of saying I needed to scan my viewfinder edge-to-edge and corner-to-corner before actually taking the shot. I was told to look for elements that did not support my subject. I was to, “frame, scan and re-frame as necessary” before releasing the shutter. This taught me to really see - and think about - what I was shooting before I shot it. I now believe this to be a critical process. I used to get very focused (mentally) on my subject to the exclusion of all else. In doing so, I allowed subordinate elements into the frame which weakened the shot overall. I learned quickly it is far better to remove these distracting elements from the frame (take out the trash) by shuffling my feet than to try and crop them out later. Cropping, I’m fond of saying, is a harsh and unforgiving Mistress.

Bringing myself back to the matters at hand... To get things started I'm going to open with what I understand to be the two most basic types of photographic composition: "Open" composition and "Closed" composition. Exciting stuff! In future posts I want to investigate other guidelines of composition such as Balance, Symmetry, the "Guideline" of Thirds, Leading Lines, S-Curves, C-Curves, Centering, L-Shapes, V-Shapes and so on. It is my hope this will lead to a better understanding of composition for all, myself included. All that being said, I don’t want anything I say to be taken as absolute; I’m not a professor in charge of a class, I’m a student of photography trying to broaden my own understanding of my chosen hobby by initiating a conversation and sharing what little I have managed to pick up. I expect to learn as much or more than anyone here as there are some really outstanding photographers here on Nikonites that I hope will not hesitate to school me proper, now that I've lifted the lid on the proverbial pot and initiated this dialogue.

I *would* ask that posters please keep comments limited to the topic of Open and Closed composition while in this thread. If these tutorial threads are going to work, in a general sense, we're going to need to keep things on topic regardless of who initiates the thread. I don't want make it sound like I'm issuing a draconian decree, but I am. Okay, I'm kidding... But really, let's please try to keep our posts on topic; not just in this thread but in the tutorials threads in general. Lastly, if you haven't, I would urge you to review Jdeg's sticky at the top of this sub-forum.

Last edited:

Horoscope Fish

• Closed Composition
wineeeee.jpg

Here we have a fairly basic shot of a wine glass and bottle of wine along with the website I found it on. This shot is a textbook example of a "Closed" composition. Why? Because everything is isolated within the frame itself. Nothing touches, or exceeds, the outer limits. No "coloring outside the lines" in this shot and nothing we see leads our eye out of the frame. All is contained and all is static. Not that this is a bad thing, mind you, it just IS. Closed compositions, generally, are static though you can add dimensionality to a Closed composition by using other techniques such as motion blur. But we're keeping this simple for now and speaking broadly. In a Closed composition the subject is frequently located more towards the center of the frame.

Closed compositions are going to be more static by virtue of the fact everything is neatly contained within the frame. The strength of a Closed composition often stems from simplicity. Simple can be powerful, simple can informative. In the above example we have two elements and, while I have issues with the placement and resultant "forced perspective" (that's either one tiny bottle of wine, or the largest wine glass I've ever seen) the important thing to note here is the utter lack of anything contextual except for the casual relationship between bottle and glass. Putting a little wine IN the glass ties these two elements together but the background is empty except for color and shadow. No wistful, misty background shot of the vineyard at sundown, no tools of the vintners trade, just a bottle and a glass. Clearly, the "trash" has been taken out.

I use Closed compositions when I'm after what I call the Zen Aesthetic: simple, isolated shapes that reflect nature or have an organic feel to them even if man-made. I don't know if I'm coining that term or mislabeling another and frankly, I don't care. This particular aesthetic lends itself well to close ups though the opposite is just as true: Negative Space is a compositional tool I'm coming to really appreciate... We'll get into Negative Space, though, another time.

Closed composition takes your subject and, typically removes context so the subject needs to be able to stand on its own and communicate without contextual support. It's pretty hard to misinterpret wine. So our example is strong and well composed. It is, technically, an outstanding shot. Sharp, well exposed, etc. It's also static and, if I may say so, boring. Simply put there's nothing going on here though what we do have is a calm, stable photo. It has a nice "finished" feel to it, with no loose ends to consider. Closed composition lends itself to landscapes, portraits and stills primarily but of course there are always exceptions. That's why I insist on calling these "guidelines" and not "rules".

• Open Composition
redwine1.jpg

Okay, this shot, borrowed from this little ol' website demonstrates Open composition. Why? Because the elements, both of them in this example, break out of the frame and create a sense of motion. The wine pour really IS in motion, but everything about this shot conveys a SENSE of motion. We can not SEE the bottle the wine is being poured from, but we can imagine it. We don't SEE the stem or foot of the glass, nor do we see the hand of the person holding it, but we can extend our vision outside of the frame and imagine them being there. Who is holding this bottle of wine and why is it being poured? Look at the flow of the wine in the glass... Is it going to overflow, or fold back in on itself in a "perfect pour"? Look at the angles in this shot, how they're on the diagonal, lending a touch of the dynamic, a sense of motion, as opposed to the first example where everything is straight, sitting on a firm surface and obviously going nowhere fast. But in this second shot we have no supporting surfaces showing and we have elements that lead our eye OUT of the frame. There is a lessening of constraint. These things are what make for an Open Composition. Open Composition makes us wonder, or imagine or visualize; it conveys movement or a sense of movement via a dynamic.

• In Conclusion
In conclusion I guess I should mention those pesky In-Between shots; those that comprise elements of both Open AND Closed composition. These happen. They happen frequently and most likely they happen to piss off people who are trying to learn basic compositional techniques, and/or write tutorials about such matters. So yes, I'm prepared for a barrage of, "Oh yeah, what about THIS SHOT, smarty pants?! Open or Closed? " type of posts. And yes, as with most things in life there are those shots, those compositions, which contain elements of both open and closed composition.

In fact, I invite you to find some of your own shots and post them in this thread. Show us some shots you think contain elements of both Open AND Closed composition in one shot. Please explain your thinking to the rest of the class. Shots that clearly demonstrate one, or the other, technique are welcome as well.

Last edited:

Krs_2007

Fish, not sure if you plan too, but examples of of the composition would be great. I have never heard of c curve or s curve. But I like it, fantastic idea and will be waiting for the next post.

I can delete this to keep it from distracting, just let me know.

Last edited by a moderator:

Horoscope Fish

Fish, not sure if you plan too, but examples of of the composition would be great. I have never heard of c curve or s curve. But I like it, fantastic idea and will be waiting for the next post.
Oh yes, we'll be covering all those techniques in upcoming posts and I plan on providing examples as we come to them. My plan is to have a series of threads with each thread covering one specific technique or guideline. I just posted the first one in Post #2 of this thread, so we now have our "Open & Closed Composition" discussion area.

mikew_RIP

Must admit ime struggling with the concept of one picture being closed and open,i wait for an example then maybe all will be clear.

mike

Horoscope Fish

My personal opinion is that they are both "closed". The first one meets all the criteria, obviously, so the real question is the flower shot.

I'm going to closed again because while the petals of the flower DO break outside the boundary of the frame, that creates a frame within a frame and our subject becomes the central disk. The petals, while they are coloring outside the lines, are not strong enough in and of themselves to move this shot into the "Open Composition" category in my mind. Also, there is no real sense of a dynamic here; it's a still-life. Our subject is calm, centered and static. All properties of a Closed composition.

ohkphoto

Snow White
Must admit ime struggling with the concept of one picture being closed and open,i wait for an example then maybe all will be clear.

mike

I love being "forced to think" . . . I may be wrong but I would classify both of your photos as "closed" based on the following:

I use Closed compositions when I'm after what I call the Zen Aesthetic: simple, isolated shapes that reflect nature or have an organic feel to them even if man-made.

Closed composition takes your subject and, typically removes context so the subject needs to be able to stand on its own and communicate without contextual support.

​In both photos, I go straight to the center and don't "question" what's going on. Well, maybe I do question what's going on in the first one . . . so that one may be classified as both, possibly?

ohkphoto

Snow White
So do i call this closed

View attachment 55625

And this open

View attachment 55626

OK . . . I clearly need some help here, because I may be overthinking.

Initially, I said both were examples of a closed composition, but I'm not sure about the first because I don't think it stands on it's own contextually.

Here is what my brain is doing while I look at the first one.
. . . the guy is floating in the water. Why is he wearing a helmet? Did he jump from a helicopter? Why? Where is the helicopter? Why is he in that position? Was this a stop action shot? It is clearly not just a guy having fun in the water. And he is wearing boots? Why?

I don't have the same thought process with the second photo. It's simply . . . oh, pretty flower. end

mikew_RIP

A quote from Helene

Initially, I said both were examples of a closed composition, but I'm not sure about the first because I don't think it stands on it's own contextually.

Interesting,it was never meant to stand on its own,its part of a set of pictures about a rescue drill,complete with a brief explanation
http://nikonites.com/project-365-daily-photos/15549-often-possible-16.html#post192307

Does this change your answer ? as part of the set there is no need to look outside the box for your answers

The second one if i had wanted closed i would have opted for this crop

46053d1375459463-often-possible-1-second-copy-4m3.jpg

Interesting stuff

ohkphoto

Snow White
A quote from Helene

Interesting,it was never meant to stand on its own,its part of a set of pictures about a rescue drill,complete with a brief explanation
http://nikonites.com/project-365-daily-photos/15549-often-possible-16.html#post192307

Does this change your answer ? as part of the set there is no need to look outside the box for your answers

The second one if i had wanted closed i would have opted for this crop

View attachment 55687

Interesting stuff

I think I'm overanalyzing. Since it's "composition", maybe it simply has to do with subject placement. The fact that the guy is entirely in the water, in the frame, makes it a "closed" composition. It should not matter how he got there. Right? (but it's nice to know, so thank you for that clarification)

I have now changed my answer also about your second photo (the first version) . . . I think it's open because the petals continue outside the boundary/frame. And your second version I would consider, closed, because even though the petals are still outside the frame, the center is so strong that it doesn't matter because that center is entirely in the frame.

Thanks for posting your photos for this exercise!

. . . and now I am going to bed . . . all this thinking has given me a headache :cool:

Horoscope Fish

If you just can't decide if a shot has open or closed composition, try this...

Close your eye's for a second and think about puppies or mom or something else entirely wholesome for a moment, just to help erase the mental image of the actual picture out of your head. Then open your eye's and take in the photo under consideration and pay attention to what your eye's do, or want to do, instinctively... Do they zoom around the frame? If they do, it's a good indicator the composition is open; if they don't it's a good indicator the composition is closed. This is not some infallible test because there is no such thing; there are few absolutes on this topic. Then too, as has been pointed out previously, there are going to be those photos that mix elements of both Open and Closed composition.

I do feel bad I've managed to give Helene a headache, even if indirectly!

wud

I am following but not sure I get it!

Are this strictly technical or is it a matter of opinion?! In your first pictures with the wine bottle, its obvious. But in the image with the guy on the water - yes, he is definitely in the picture, but the reason why he is laying on the water, are not. And this makes me think of the wine being poured into the glass, but is this different, because in the wine-image, we actually see the red wine?

RON_RIP

Well Helene may just have to tough it out, this photography business is just hard work sometime no matter how much we love it. I call the first frame open because there is much going on outside of the frame that we don't see but still perceive and the second frame is closed because nothing is going on outside the frame that is of any interest to us. The cropped version does not change that perception;all the pertinent information is right there. s an aside my prescription for a headache is Wild Turkey 101 with branch water back. Just saying.....:eek:

Horoscope Fish

I am following but not sure I get it!

Are this strictly technical or is it a matter of opinion?! In your first pictures with the wine bottle, its obvious. But in the image with the guy on the water - yes, he is definitely in the picture, but the reason why he is laying on the water, are not. And this makes me think of the wine being poured into the glass, but is this different, because in the wine-image, we actually see the red wine?
I think there are elements (HA!) of both.

To my way of thinking composition is about the placement of the elements within the frame and nothing more. This is technical and objective.

What those elements and their placement within the frame do and how they make me feel is something else. This is aesthetic and subjective.

The composition of the shot of floating man, how it's framed and what it shares the frame with, is technical and objective. What the composition of the floating man makes us think or feel, based on its composition, is aesthetic and subjective.

ohkphoto

Snow White
To my way of thinking composition is about the placement of the elements within the frame and nothing more. This is technical and objective.

What those elements and their placement within the frame do and how they make me feel is something else. This is aesthetic and subjective.

This did it for me! So, both of Mikew's photos are examples of closed compositions.

I found it interesting that I had so much difficulty separating the technical from the aesthetic. Excellent exercise, Fish! Thank you for doing this :D (a glass of wine took care of the headache :cool: )

Just-Clayton

To me closed means focusing on the bottle and glass or any combination. When you combine the two as pouring the wine from the bottle to the glass your shooting outside the box, causing an action shot or wider view of the closed shot. As for the swimmer to me "closed" open would maybe show him or a group jumping in. The flower " closed" open should show the whole field of flowers. Yes or no??