D800 or D800E

Steve B

Seriously considering adding one of these to my collection. I already have 5 FX lenses so glass isn't an immediate concern. I would like to get some recommendations on the best choice from people that own them. Right now the price difference is only $200 so I am leaning towards the D800E. Primary uses would be portraits, macro, and landscapes.

Thanks,

Ruidoso Bill

It is said that the "E" is a tad sharper, to be honest I couldn't be happier with my non "E". Either way they are great cameras in my opinion and I'm sure you will enjoy any D800.

WhiteLight

Well what you stated about what you intend to shoot seems to suggest that you actually need both cameras ;)

[h=3]Nikon D800 vs D800E – which one to get[/h]Nikon is now giving us the option to choose between two versions of the Nikon D800 camera – the regular model, D800, which has an AA filter, and the D800E that has no AA filter. So, which one should you buy? If you are a portrait/fashion/studio/architectural/bird photographer, then get the Nikon D800 – you would be better off with an AA filter.
If you are a landscape or a macro photographer, then you should get the Nikon D800E to get the maximum detail out of the high-quality 36.3 MP sensor.

Nikon D800 vs D800E

Steve B

:) My wife has a hard time believing I need one, let alone two. After reading a couple of articles today I am now leaning towards the D800. I think it fits my "needs" better.

Silven

Seriously considering adding one of these to my collection. I already have 5 FX lenses so glass isn't an immediate concern. I would like to get some recommendations on the best choice from people that own them. Right now the price difference is only $200 so I am leaning towards the D800E. Primary uses would be portraits, macro, and landscapes.

Thanks,

That's what I shoot too so I went with the "E".

Steve B

Well I pulled the trigger, D800 on it's way. It seemed the better fit for my style of shooting and PP from everything I read.

oldsalt

Good luck with your new camera Steve... I'm sure you'll love it... a lot to learn - but it's fun and I'm very pleased with my results (800E) so far - the amount of detail in each shot is amazing... so much to work with. I'm using Lightroom 5 for my post processing and find it more than adequate for my needs.

cheers

Philippe

I have both, I had to buy a second one for a particular job (PHOTOEIL), so then I chosen the 'E', as was it not to have the same camera twice.

Alas, I don't see the difference unless I pixel-peep at 100%! Only when I shoot in the studio, tripod mounted, with prime lenses, there might be a slight advantage for the 'E' that can be seen by the naked eye. But when printed (off-set), then all the advantage of the 'E' is gone!

So, don't feel blue if you 'only' have the normal one!

Eddie

Last weekend, first time trying out the 800 without the 'E'.
When I tried taking pictures with it, immediately, it blew me away to smithereens.
And the best part was Im taking pictures indoors. ISO sets at 2500 and yet noise were kept to minimal.
Or maybe no noise at all. Only factor is, its price. Or maybe am still waiting for that rumors, D400 ... *sigh*
Still using my D300s. Still IS a great camera ...

I'd choose D800 if there are no reason why I shouldn't ... :)

Last edited:

oldsalt

I bought my 800E a few months back and haven't looked back - I love it - if price is the only thing holding you back try ringing a few of the big professional places in Melb or Syd and check out their demo/display models, you can save quite a bit... "Vanbars" in Melb always have a few in stock... last time I looked they had a couple for around the $2750 mark.... leaves a few $$ for some glass.....
cheers

Steve B

The D800 came in today. Battery is charged, memory cards in and formatted, now I just need to wait until this weekend to really test it out. :)