Rokinon/Samyang 14mm T3.1 Cine Lens

StephanAlberts

Hi everyone, new to this forum... Hope I am placing this topic in the right category.

Does anyone have this lens?

I ordered it from Amazon and received it today. So far, it looks fantastic!

BUT, I have a query about the T-stop aperture ring and was wondering if anyone else have the same issue:

When I move the T-stop ring all the way open to T3.1, it displays as F1.4 on my Nikon D600. All the way back to T22 it only shows up to F11 on my camera.

In relation to the camera. this is the info reflected on my screen:
T3.1 -------- F1.4
T4 -------- F2
T5.6 -------- F2.8
T8 -------- F5.6
T11 -------- F8
T16 -------- F11
T22 -------- F11

It feels like I am missing out on the stops T16 and T22 and that there's a significant difference in relation between F-stop and T-stop. On my Rokinon 35mm Cine T2.8 shows as F2.8 on my camera.

The aperture ring opens smoothly from T3.1 to T22 and looking at the iris it looks like it opens up fully. It's just that the T-stop number doesn't correspond with the reading on the camera.

Can anyone who has this lens shed some light on this for me because I'm not sure if its a fault with the lens or if I am missing something?

Oh, I emailed Rokinon this exact info and all they replied with was this:
"If the aperture is fully opening and closing then it should be working completely fine. I’m confused as to why its reading something different on your camera."

:confused:

LensWork

You have to go into the menu, Non-CPU lens data and enter the focal length and maximum aperture for it to display correctly.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Contributor
You have to go into the menu, Non-CPU lens data and enter the focal length and maximum aperture for it to display correctly.

Good info! I'm considering this lens, too, and appreciate knowing this ahead of time! :D

StephanAlberts

Ahh perfect! Just learned something about camera, thanks LW!

Funny, under Focal length I can only pick either 13 or 15mm, so I set it at 15mm and Maximum aperture at F2.8 (which I believe is the closest equivalent to T3.1)