Weekly Challenge Dec 22-Jan 5: The Decisive Moment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Browncoat

decisive.jpg

The Decisive Moment

Weekly Challenge Dec. 22 - Jan. 5

Your challenge is to photograph the interaction between two living beings (one must be human) that exemplifies a decisive moment for you. The emotion or energy passing between the two subjects should pass to the viewer of the photo, and because this is supposed to be a time of good will and cheer, it would be nice to focus on positive feelings; however, your neighbor holding a chain saw and glaring at the back of his angry wife might just be a “decisive moment” for you.

The guidelines for this challenge are:
1. It does NOT have to be a formal/studio setting and does NOT need to include any holiday “paraphernalia”.
2. Your subjects must be at least 1 person and no more than 2 (e.g. 2 people or 1 person and a pet)
3. Resist the urge to rapid-fire –trust your intuition to recognize the moment.
4. Resist the urge to control or command your subjects into some kind of interaction. You can get some very interesting and powerful images by quietly observing through your lens.

Many of us have our preferred subjects and if photographing people is not something you like to do, you’re invited to stretch your boundaries by accepting this challenge. You may be surprised by your results.

Be sure to visit the Weekly Challenge Rules & Guidelines for more information. This thread will be closed on January 5th...so get those photos in!

The Rules

1. Photos must be posted to this thread in order to be considered for the challenge.
  2. Any photo submitted for a weekly challenge must be taken during the dates specified in the challenge thread and taken by you! Because not all EXIF data can be verified, we will use the honor system here.
  3. Challenges will be judged solely by the winner of the previous week. There will be no individual voting.
  4. Only one photo entry per member, for each challenge.

Any photo will be accepted for the challenge. Edited/straight out of the camera, it does not matter. You are left with complete freedom to do whatever genre of photography you wish to do, and your own interpretation of the challenge subject.

Last edited:

Browncoat

Re: Weekly Challenge Dec 22-29: The Decisive Moment

More info from the challenge issuer:

Christmas can be an incredibly hectic time especially for photographers. It seems to be the time for the cheesy poses by the tree and rapid fire shooting of the kids opening presents. And if you’re the photographer in a large family, it’s expected of you. It’s almost as if all our skills fly out the window because we have to hurry up and get the presents opened, cook Christmas dinner, go to grandma’s or one of a million other duties.

The challenge to you this week is to step back from the madness, take a deep breath, and reach down into your intuitive self while in the midst of madness. The decisive moment for photographers (from Cartier-Bresson) is that moment when everything in the universe coalesces into that single, special moment that makes the photograph. It’s not planned for, it just appears. Snap the shutter a second sooner or later, and you miss it. How many times do we stare at a landscape through our lenses and think, if only the sun would go behind a cloud, if only the sky were bluer, the lake stiller. But in the end the decisive moment results in a totally unplanned for moment and image.

When photographing people, the decisive moment can be elusive. We’re so busy getting our subjects to relax into a natural pose and we snap away to get as many good poses as possible, that we sometimes miss it. And with the camera’s ability to rapid fire, we have forgotten the art of waiting.

Browncoat

And a personal note from me...

This challenge is officially OPEN, so post away. You don't have to wait until the "official" start date of any challenge to begin posting. As long as there's an thread started, feel free to use it!

Which brings me to more important matters. Guys, we have ways of verifying your EXIF data. Seriously, you're not fooling anyone. This has been brought up a couple of times before, so this will be the last time I'll mention it. Please read the rules, specifically #2.

Any photo submitted for a weekly challenge must be taken during the dates specified in the challenge thread and taken by you!

These rules are posted in each and every thread, yet this particular one is still being ignored. Violation of this rule ruins the entire spirit of the Weekly Challenge, which is to give you a topic of inspiration. To get you out there and using your camera each week. Do not post photos in these threads that are outside the date range for the challenge!

Others are watching too. I've received many private messages from other forum members notifying me of EXIF rule violations. And I encourage you to continue sending me a PM when you find a photo that violates the rules.

From now on, the offending photos will be removed from the threads.

kevindepot

I thought for sure this weeks challenge would be a Christmas or atleast a Holiday theme.

Browncoat

complaint_department.jpg

Please take a number and have a seat. Your number will be up shortly.

kevindepot

If my statement was taken as a complaint and not a simple thread filler as it was intended, then I guess this is the wrong forum for me.

Browncoat

We like our threads filled with actual discussion and/or photos....particularly the ones in the Weekly Challenge section. There are other places for idle chatter. And if you're not able to have a good laugh at your own expense, then perhaps this isn't the forum for you. The internet is an awfully big place.

Now, back to the task at hand....

We have a great challenge topic here, so let's get to it. :)

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member

Kevin - don't take Anthony too seriously, he's a Jokester :) Also, if you think about it, this is Holiday themed. Maybe a picture of a loved one receiving a present, or seeing another family member for the first time in a while (or ever). There's several situations around the Holidays that would be a good subject.

Also, I'll throw in another Nikonites mug to the winner of this challenge.

Richard500

Shall I or...... Hmmmmm
u6zk0Yuwy_mf9Kxtnumjsw
No%20Diving%202.jpg
- Well did he of didn't he?

The Pier at Southsea (Portsmouth, Hampshire. UK) in the distance an old fort designed to protect the English coast from French invaders! The Isle of Wight can just be seen on the horizon beyond the fort which is called "Spitbank Fort"

Sorry.. I have misread the rules and withdraw this photo as it is outside the period to quailify I leave it here for interest only. Again, I apologise for not reading the rules properly

Last edited:

ohkphoto

Snow White

This was NOT taken within the time frame so IS NOT eligible. But if I had taken it today, this is what I would enter.

Technically, not perfect, even compositionally could be better. But for me this was a decisive moment where the energy mattered. It was that split second when the little boy in the corner looked toward the camera. This was from a 2 hr photo shoot with a family and in that time, I never saw that same expression in the little boy again. Incidentally, the parents ranked this photo as one of their favorites.

_DSC0067.jpg

Amanda1515

speical1_upload.jpg

I shoot this last night with my hubby...using a remote and timer....

fotojack

Great shot, Amy! Very sensuous and romantic looking. Not to mention sexy as hell! :) Thank you for sharing.

Amanda1515

Thank you very much...we had a great time...lol...p.s my name is Amanda..lol...Have a Merry Christmas...

AxeMan - Rick S.

DSC_4321.jpg

A 90 year olds Christmas wish was to see a picture of a naked man, on a dare we put one up on the computer for her and mom to see That's mom busting a gut in the back round.

OK, so we do some wild things at Christmas time and this is not a family tradition, how ever this picture is too priceless not to post in the contest, if it is a winner or not is does not matter, thanks for letting us share our laughter.

ohkphoto

Snow White

Very sensuous and romantic looking. Not to mention sexy as hell

WOW, Amanda! I agree with Jack. Would also add that this photo is class and s-m-o-l-d-e-r-i-n-g !

Best Regards

ohkphoto

Snow White

OK, so we do some wild things at Christmas time and this is not a family tradition, how ever this picture is too priceless not to post in the contest

Axeman, you're right. This is priceless! It warms my heart. It must be a hoot living in your household :)

fotojack

My apologies, Amanda. I was going by your signature on the photo, and I could have sworn it says Amy. No disrespect intended, I assure you. :) And a joyous and wonderful Christmas to you and your lucky hubby. :)
Helene is so right!....I forgot s-m-o-l-d-e-r-i-n-g!! :) whew! :)

Amanda1515

Just giving you a hard time...ANJ is the name of my biz...But I am not sure I like the new font I'm trying...LOL Thank you so much..u rock have a great day...

Status
Not open for further replies.