Anyone have or have owned the following... (Ultra Wide Angle)

shungokusatsu29

I am looking to get into landscaping photography full swing! I have my eyes on a few lenses though: Sigma 12-24mm or 10-20mm, Tokina 12-24mm, or Nikon 12-24mm. They are all great looking lenses but with some price variances... I'm leaning more towards the Sigma.

Rick M

I had the Nikon 10-24, but I'll stick my nose in anyway :). If I were still in Dx, I would get the tokina 11-16 (highest rated), followed by the 10-20 sigma as a close second and a bit less expensive.

Last edited:

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
You might want to scan through Wide-Angle forum as there has been a lot of past discussions. Personally I've had a Sigma 10-20 for over 7 years and have been very pleased.

wud

I got the sigma 12-24 and are very happy with it - maybe I would have liked a lower aperture (f/4.5-5.6), but thats not really needed for landscaping.

Its very sharp and keeps up with a lot of different situations, like the sun shining hard and bright.

A few examples of what I've done with it:

balder_4491_web_155329.jpg

luca_4298_web.jpg

johanne_2136_web.jpg

solnedgang_kalvebod_2253_web.jpg

Last edited:

shungokusatsu29

I got the sigma 12-24 and are very happy with it - maybe I would have liked a lower aperture (f/4.5-5.6), but thats not really needed for landscaping.

Its very sharp and keeps up with a lot of different situations, like the sun shining hard and bright.

A few examples of what I've done with it:

balder_4491_web_155329.jpg

luca_4298_web.jpg

johanne_2136_web.jpg

solnedgang_kalvebod_2253_web.jpg

OMG those are killer pics! All with the D3???? I'm really considering the 12-24mm and the Tokina 11-16. Maybe I'll just get both lol. The Sigma might be my first choice then the Tokina. Thanks for the feedback :D

wud

OMG those are killer pics! All with the D3???? I'm really considering the 12-24mm and the Tokina 11-16. Maybe I'll just get both lol. The Sigma might be my first choice then the Tokina. Thanks for the feedback :D

Thank you so much :)

If you want to shoot other than landscape, maybe you would be happy with the f/2.8 - but looking at Fish's links, it seems its not THAT much of a difference between those lenses, Tokina are a bit better out at the edges. I normally crop a bit, as Im on full frame (yes, D3, lovely camera) so I can have some distortions I wanna get rid of.

Mestre

Just to help the Sigma side :)

You can check some pics in this thread http://nikonites.com/wide-angle/7690-sigma-10-20-f-3-5-pics.html#axzz2hY4XCwa3

I used a Sigma 10-20 f/3,5 and I only sold the lens when I jumped to FX. My sigma is a bit more expensive than the f4-5,6 and, honestly, if you can get the f4-5,6 you'll win on the filter thread (82mm CPL are quiet costly).

I checked the Tokina and the best pro vs the Sigma is the constant 2.8 and better MTF wide open. The 10-20 gives a much more flexible lens and for landscape, which was the main reason for me to buy the ultra wide, i always shoot from f8 to f14.

DavidB

I evaluated both and bought the Tokina. Loved the f/2.8 and I thought it feels better built and much more like a Nikon lens.

David

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk 2

shungokusatsu29

I evaluated both and bought the Tokina. Loved the f/2.8 and I thought it feels better built and much more like a Nikon lens.

David

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk 2

I will definitely take your words into consideration! I wonder if I have a shop nearby where I can rent these... time to research!

adox66

I`m in the same boat and have been trying to choose between The Nikon 10-24, the Tokina 11-16 and the Sigma 10-20. Im veering towards the Sigma as it seems to be the best fit for me(landscape photography) and its the cheapest by quite a bit.

shungokusatsu29

I`m in the same boat and have been trying to choose between The Nikon 10-24, the Tokina 11-16 and the Sigma 10-20. Im veering towards the Sigma as it seems to be the best fit for me(landscape photography) and its the cheapest by quite a bit.

The Tokina is GREAT! I love it and am so impressed by it. Things don't really pop on the camera preview, but when you put them on your PC, WHOA! I was torn b/t the Sigma and the Tokina, but the clarity and sharpness of the Tokina took the cake for me. You should have great results with either one, but go to Over a million full-size sample photos from SLR and mirrorless cameras combined with different lenses and look at the two and see which looks better to you! That's how I decided, and also how I decided I wanted the Nikon D600!