Question about lenses

mike2847

So when my D3100 came with 2 lenses. 18-55mm and 55-200mm. Does it matter which one I use or is there a specific time when I should use one versus the other?

Probably a silly question for you experienced photographers, but I'm still learning how to use mine when/if I find time.

WayneF

Well, the choice depends only on the view you want to show.

18-55 mm is from wide angle to mild telephoto. This will be for most situations, certainly indoors.

55-200 is from mild to relatively extreme telephoto. It brings distant far things closer, to enlarge the view off them (if that is your choice). Like maybe for photographing a bear in the woods, etc.

Go out in the front yard, and look though both them, at like 18mm and at 200mm - looking at something say half a city block distance. It is the view that changes. The 200 mm lens will bring it 200/18 = 11 times closer and larger, than at 18 mm.

But at other times, you need the wide angle field that 18 mm can show. Or most often, some suitable point in between. You zoom to show the view that you want to show.

Last edited:

WhiteLight

The two lenses cover varying focal lengths..
18mm is the closest you can get and 200mm is the farthest..
Keep a subject in front of you, like a coke can or something, sit down a few feet away from it, fix your 18-55 fist, move the lens from one end which should ideally be at 18mm, move it to 55. Then remove the lens and attach your 55-200. Do the same..
Your field of view will change and also let you understand better which situation would be good for which lens..
Quality wise, both are great

Vincent

I would say you have a great range; 18-200mm is nice to work with. Some situations might ask for something else, but that you find out by using the lenses and see where you miss something.
I confirm from the messages above you need to try out on the same subject and see the difference. Not only try from the same position, but change the position and try to get about the same view on the main subject with different focal lengths. You should not see a 200mm as only for far away or 18 mm only for landscapes or rooms.
The 18mm can be used very close for details, you will have more context around it using it.
The 200mm can be used at the shortest focus to have a subject with not a lot of context, narrow field.

There is no perfect way to do it, it depends on your style and the way you want the picture to come out.
So the point would be to know what your lens can do and use it in a way people do not expect it. This to come with the picture that amazes everyone and makes them ask how you got that scene so perfectly.

An alternative is that you fix in the middle 55mm for a day (say min 50 different pictures) and try to take things from close and far from different angles. This limit will make you understand what you miss not having the other lengths. You need to come to a point where you know why you want a large or narrow angle picture.
N.B.: I also still have to work on this, maybe it is a permanent learning curve since every subject can be a discovery.