Milky Pinups by Aurum Light

BackdoorArts

I came across these on a photo blog a while back, and the discussion of classic pin-up styles in another thread made me wonder if they were ever discussed here. I did a search and came up with nothing, so here you go.

9724830996_6d49375745_o.jpg

Best I can get from the various blog posts he has on the subject is that these are painstakingly constructed from many shots made by pouring and splashing milk on the model and then merged in Photoshop. I think the effect is spectacular!!

All photos on the site may not be suitable for work, so be aware as you click through.

Here's a link to the Milk Pinup Calendar Photos. From there you can explore the site as you'd like.

BackdoorArts

Wow, thats really amazing work. I wonder how much time and pictures it takes to do just one shot.

They do workshops and it seems that each shot is a full day, which is mostly set up and clean up, with actual shooting taking an hour or so. Post-processing can take days - the guy is an admitted slave to the computer and loves tweaking stuff.

Horoscope Fish

They do workshops and it seems that each shot is a full day, which is mostly set up and clean up, with actual shooting taking an hour or so. Post-processing can take days - the guy is an admitted slave to the computer and loves tweaking stuff.
Love the shots (obviously) but I could never "do" photography that way... In fact, I'm starting to think what I'm seeing there is more "digital art" than "photography"; not that there's anything wrong with that and I'm not even not sure where, exactly, that boundary exists but, at least in my mind, it *does* exist. Still, it's all done *with* photos, so I've sort of painted myself into a corner with my own definition it seems. I'm definitely a little torn here. In my heart I'm a bit of a purist and for reasons I can't quite put my finger on, these shots are pushing that envelope for me.

Needless distinction?

BackdoorArts

I'm with you, Fish. This is not composition but planned recomposition. Not that it invalidates it as "photography" since each frame has to be lit and composed perfectly. But photography is definitely just a part of the overall process. But I would put this in the Digital Art category before I ever called it "photography". I'm guessing the techniques used could be adapted to single shots as well.

It takes a lot of vision to see something like this in your mind and then figure out how to bring it to fruition.

Horoscope Fish

I'm with you, Fish. This is not composition but planned recomposition. Not that it invalidates it as "photography" since each frame has to be lit and composed perfectly. But photography is definitely just a part of the overall process. But I would put this in the Digital Art category before I ever called it "photography". I'm guessing the techniques used could be adapted to single shots as well.

It takes a lot of vision to see something like this in your mind and then figure out how to bring it to fruition.
Yeah, you *totally* nailed down what I was thinking.

Browncoat

Pretty cool. Not my cup of tea just because of the clean-up and re-shoots involved, but this is great work. The lighting in particular is very good.

It all falls under the "art" umbrella to me. Photography is photography is art. There isn't much difference between this and HDR, and if you can make that leap, then there's not much difference between HDR and Ansel Adams' dark room techniques. No distinction necessary.

Take a smartphone for example. It can access the internet and run apps, so is it a computer? You can take pictures with it, so is it a camera? No...it's still just a phone. Today's automobiles have more technology than the first manned space shuttles. So are we driving around in spaceships? No...it's still just a car.

SkvLTD

Browncoat- :D :D :D And I'm on the purist bandwagon as well, at least when it comes to photography as an art and skill. As far as making a living doing what you generally enjoy, mad kudos to this guy.

Lawrence

Wow that is impressive whichever way you look at it. But for me I think it is a waste of milk! The model would look awesome with just the mop. :) :)