Focus On The Eye (What If They're Wearing Glasses?)

gohan2091

For portraits, I always focus on the eye but what if my subject is wearing eye glasses and I am using a shallow depth of field such as F2.8. How do I get sharp images in this situation?

gohan2091

Manual focus?

I'm not sure how effective that would be with a shallow depth of field, especially on a longer focal length. The depth of field is so small, the slightest movement of the camera or subject could mean I am constantly adjusting the focus ring. I don't trust myself so much with manual focus and only use it in video. I have a fast auto focus system, is there not a trick I could use?

BackdoorArts

I wasn't being glib. With a 2.8 the depth of field isn't quite that narrow, as it might be with an 85mm f1.8, and especially the 85mm f1.4. If another part of the face isn't available on the same plane then most lenses will allow you to manually override the autofocus once you get it, so take the autofocus and give the focus ring a slight turn towards infinity (notching it a little further away). It will take practice, but if you've got nothing else to focus on then that's what you got.

gohan2091

I wasn't being glib. With a 2.8 the depth of field isn't quite that narrow, as it might be with an 85mm f1.8, and especially the 85mm f1.4. If another part of the face isn't available on the same plane then most lenses will allow you to manually override the autofocus once you get it, so take the autofocus and give the focus ring a slight turn towards infinity (notching it a little further away). It will take practice, but if you've got nothing else to focus on then that's what you got.

Ok great, thanks. I asked because I practiced today using my sister as the subject and many of my pictures are a bit soft because I was focusing on her glasses. I was using a 105mm 2.8 lens.

BackdoorArts

Another suggestion might be that you extend the dof using a smaller aperture so that the glasses and the eyes are in focus? You may get the desired effect at f4 or even f5.6 - or at least not lose much. Getting the eye in focus is likely more critical than the razor thin dof effect.

gohan2091

Another suggestion might be that you extend the dof using a smaller aperture so that the glasses and the eyes are in focus? You may get the desired effect at f4 or even f5.6 - or at least not lose much. Getting the eye in focus is likely more critical than the razor thin dof effect.

Possible but I was in the woods and really found the background distracting. I'll keep that in mind in the future though