photographing trick or treating

carguy

Looking to take some better pictures of the kids this Halloween while trick or treating.
While I've been doing quite a bit of off camera flash work, I admit I haven't done much on camera.

I have the SB-700 and the D7100.

In the past, I've thrown the SB-700 on my D40 using TTL on the flash and aperture priority with White Balance set to 'flash' on the camera for a few family snapshots around the house with success.

What about shooting outdoors at night without having the result looking like a point-and-shoot?

I'm considering a small Rogue Flashbender Softbox?

Sample camera settings? I'll probably have the Nikkor 18-105mm.

Thoughts? Sample images? Ideas?

Thanks - Joe

The SB700 came with a diffuser. That on the camera and either pointing up or maybe at a 45° angle might give you the look/light you need. You might go out and try it BEFORE Halloween night.

carguy

The SB700 came with a diffuser. That on the camera and either pointing up or maybe at a 45° angle might give you the look/light you need. You might go out and try it BEFORE Halloween night.

Hey Don. I did just that tonight in the yard. Plan to play a bit this week :)

I have the OEM diffuser on the flash. Tried it at 90, 45, etc and it still had that 'look'. My thought is a little softbox, etc might improve the end result or am I expecting too much?

Hey Don. I did just that tonight in the yard. Plan to play a bit this week :)

I have the OEM diffuser on the flash. Tried it at 90, 45, etc and it still had that 'look'. My thought is a little softbox, etc might improve the end result or am I expecting too much?

i have not tried it yet myself but have been planning to. Hard for me to get a willing subject. I would think that up at 90° would give you a very soft look for the flash.

carguy

I imagine skipping the diffuser and just using the little bounce card at night might be too bright. I packed it up for the night already. I'll experiment more tomorrow night.

Anyone have any good examples of outdoor nighttime people shots/portraits with on camera flash?

FastGlass

I've seen a youtube video on the differant look coming from speedlight on camera in the night time. They used the supplied diffuser, flip up reflector, pointed the flash in differant positions. They all looked pretty much the same. Harsh shadows. Then came out the softbox. Made all the differance in the world. Still looked like a flash photo because everything in the background was dark but it looked the best out of all the comparisons. Good luck with you're endeaver.

nikonpup

post some pictures so we know what you are not liking. are you going to be out and about or in your doorway at home?

carguy

post some pictures so we know what you are not liking. are you going to be out and about or in your doorway at home?
I'll take more pics tonight and throught the week and post them up.

This project/learning experience is for a trip to the Detroit Zoo this weekend. They have an event 'Zoo Boo' for the kids to trick or treat throughout the zoo in the evening/night.

singlerosa_RIP

I like the Gary Fong collapsable Lightsphere. Great for soft, disperse light. Here's a shot from my wife's bar, which is very dimly lit.

carly.jpg

Browncoat

Rogue products are awesome! I've been using the Rogue Grid for awhile now, and it's great.

I've tried a few less expensive speedlight softboxes and have not been happy with the results. It's difficult to disperse and soften light that is concentrated in such a small area. The one I've had the best luck with is the Westcott PocketBox Max. It's $20, so it is what it is...a cheap solution if convenience and space are an issue.

If you want to make an investment, the Lastolite 24" EzyBox is the way to go. It ain't cheap, but this is what the pros use. There's even a Joe McNally version that has a white interior instead of silver. I take this thing with me on location shoots and it's worth it's weight in gold. One of the best purchases I ever made. It's going to take up considerably more room for your Halloween project, but the results will be fantastic if you can swing it.

Browncoat

I don't usually publish my commercial work, but here's a recent HS senior that was shot using that Lastolite 24" EzyBox:

Senior-17.jpg

carguy

Rogue products are awesome! I've been using the Rogue Grid for awhile now, and it's great.

I've tried a few less expensive speedlight softboxes and have not been happy with the results. It's difficult to disperse and soften light that is concentrated in such a small area. The one I've had the best luck with is the Westcott PocketBox Max. It's $20, so it is what it is...a cheap solution if convenience and space are an issue.

If you want to make an investment, the Lastolite 24" EzyBox is the way to go. It ain't cheap, but this is what the pros use. There's even a Joe McNally version that has a white interior instead of silver. I take this thing with me on location shoots and it's worth it's weight in gold. One of the best purchases I ever made. It's going to take up considerably more room for your Halloween project, but the results will be fantastic if you can swing it.

Good info, thanks. I'm heading to the camera store tomorrow night to checkout the Rogue softbox. I'll see if they have the Westcott PocketBox as well.

While the Lastolite 24" is impressive, I'd feel a little awkard walking around with that on my camera :)

carguy

Wouldn't you know it. Wait to hit the local brick & mortar. They only have part of what I need and the salesperson is less than thrilled he has a customer asking questions. I really do try to buy local most of the time, got home and placed my order on Amazon with free 2 day shipping....

Snapped a few test shots with the OEM SB700 diffuser as the Rogue small softbox kit will be here Friday. Kids were in bed so shrubs stood in for them. Seems I had the best results with the flash straight up using the OEM diffuser. 1/40 second, f8, ISO 400 @ 18-24mm (18-105mm lens).

Last edited:

carguy

Flashbender arrived today, took a few test shots with it on camera. Then removed it and went to the OEM diffuser with the flash at a 45 and 180 degree setting. I like the softbox effect better. We'll find out how the pics come out this Sunday night :)

These are product pics. Nothing to write home about, pics #2 and #3 lit by a Neewer TT560 on camera left, nothing else. My 6 year old flash stand was getting tired ;)

Rogue Flashbender Softbox Kit by MichiganClassics.com, on Flickr