Problems with exposure

Mari

Hello All, I'm newbie to DSLR photography. I recently purchased the D3200. Everything was going fine until one day out of the blue, my pictures started to appear over exposed no matter what settings I use. However, when I switch to LiveView and take a picture using the same settings used with the ViewFinder the picture comes out with proper exposure. Its driving me crazy!! Please help...

WayneF

My guess about what might do that is to ask what metering mode? Spot Metering is NOT a beginners point&shoot option. Try Center or Matrix.

And maybe tell us lots more detail about the situation. We only know what you tell us. :)

The rest below seems opposite of the reported problem, but ...

I don't have a D3200, so am just guessing, but see the D3200 manual, bottom of page 85, where it says "exposure may differ". Also next page where it says to cover the eye piece.

In movie mode, live view kicks in more features like Auto ISO which may not otherwise be on, but I am not aware that photo mode does. But the focusing and metering modes are different when the viewfinder is not available.

Brandonberg

Hello All, I'm newbie to DSLR photography. I recently purchased the D3200. Everything was going fine until one day out of the blue, my pictures started to appear over exposed no matter what settings I use. However, when I switch to LiveView and take a picture using the same settings used with the ViewFinder the picture comes out with proper exposure. Its driving me crazy!! Please help...

When you say no matter what settings you use, do you mean in manual? Or if you take a photo in Full Auto through the view finder it still turns out overexposed?

eidian

I've never used it but is it possible that Exposure Compensation was adjusted by accident? If that's what happened then maybe Live View is overriding it?

I know that it sounds unlikely to have EC accidentally adjusted but that did happen to me with Flash Compensation once, didn't look at what I was adjusting once when I hit the Menu button. Holy crap was it a PITA to figure out.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4

Last edited:

WayneF

I've never used it but is it possible that Exposure Compensation was adjusted by accident? If that's what happened then maybe Live View is overriding it?

Yeah, we need to know more about modes and settings. Manual page 85 says Exposure Compensation works in Live View for P, A, and S modes. Implying that it does not in other modes like Scenic, but I think then it does not work in viewfinder mode either (Auto and Scenic modes are very automatic).

Last edited: