D3100 Screen Problem ( Video Mode ) | waves on screen

ElyasX

hi there i have a problem with my screen here .. today suddenly i see the waves [ i mean the lines going up like u see the monitor ( pc ) on movies ( old ones ) ] on my screen i though that it's because of the lights and it's normal and a few hours later i checked that again and figured out syh is wrong / for being sure about what happened is it from screen or the main part inside or not i capture a test video and watch it on Pc and i did see those waves again .. i must i think there is no lossy can be seen in the images but video and video screen have problem as i said>

DropBox Link (online watch) : https://www.dropbox.com/s/sqm38sa28h4500p/test.avi
This is a test Video uploaded here : MediaFire - Test File

what do u think about ? is that cause of the sensor ? is it going to be ok ? what i must to do ? ( repair or sth ? )
what should i do ?
---------------------------
Thanks
--------------------------
re : title is a mistake : only > D3100 <

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: D3200 D3100 Screen Problem ( Video Mode ) | waves on screen

Welcome to the forum

If you fill out your profile we can better answer any questions that you might have.
You can do that at http://nikonites.com/profile.php?do=editprofile

Some useful links
http://support.nikonusa.com/app/ans.../nikon-product-manuals-available-for-download
Nikon | Imaging Products | Digitutor

Thanks

is it a D3100 or a D3200? You will probably need to upload the video somewhere that does not require people to download the file first. Is it happening on all videos or just one? What setting are you shooting in? What kind of lights?

ElyasX

Welcome to the forum

is it a D3100 or a D3200? You will probably need to upload the video somewhere that does not require people to download the file first. Is it happening on all videos or just one? What setting are you shooting in? What kind of lights?

Thanks Don

Sry / my mistake for the title : the camera is D3100

New Link ( on dropbox / online watching ) ; https://www.dropbox.com/s/sqm38sa28h4500p/test.avi

- Setting is Auto / i changed to the others but nothing changes .. / i must say that i didnt change settings for shooting video

- Today happening for all Videos

- for lights i mean the first time i saw the waved i thought cause the lights are not enough so it's the answer but i figured out no it's not the reason !

- dont u think sth happened to the sensor ?

Question : tell me after watching the Test Video / should i call it " waves " ? or another word ? ( cause i did find anything with keyword " wave " related to DSLR cameras ! :(

Last edited:

That look like florescent lights. IS it?

Shoot outside in sun or inside with regular incandescent lights and see if it make any difference.

Raymie

Looks like interference from a magnetic field of some sort... Not saying it is mind you :/ I'm waiting to see the outside footage.

ElyasX

Looks like interference from a magnetic field of some sort... Not saying it is mind you :/ I'm waiting to see the outside footage.

You said about " magnetic field " , new gear i bought about 4 days ago : " DSLR Rig Shoulder Mount Movie Kit " attract my attention ...

im saying attract cause even that time this happened ( and then a day after that it was fixed automatically ) and then today again i put the camera on it for shooting a sample scene but after taking 5 mins ( about ) the waves came again :| !

51D6LMwyR0L._SX385_.jpg

the Kit i bought from shops recently is exactly this stuff on the amazon :
Link 1 : Amazon.com: DSLR Rig Shoulder Mount Movie Kit for DV Cameras & For Canon EOS Rebel T5i/T3/T3i/T2i/T1i/EOS 1D MARK III/1D MARK IV/1DS MARK II/5D/7D/20D/30D/40D/50D/60D/70D/XS/Xsi/Xti SLR Cameras and a Bonus Rain Cover: Camera & Photo
Link 2 : Amazon.com: ePhoto Premium DSLR Rig Movie Kit Shoulder Rig Mount, Shoulder Support Pad for Video Camcorder Camera DV DSLR Cameras, Canon 5D MK II , 7D , 60D ,600D (T3i), Nikon D90 D7000 D5100 D3100 D300s, Sony A65 A55, A33, A580, A560, DSR-PD198p, GH
Link 3 : Amazon.com: DSLR Rig Movie Kit Shoulder Mount: Camera & Photo

do you think this is the shared problem in this 2 time this happening to the camera ?

Thanks

You said about " magnetic field " , new gear i bought about 4 days ago : " DSLR Rig Shoulder Mount Movie Kit " attract my attention ...

im saying attract cause even that time this happened ( and then a day after that it was fixed automatically ) and then today again i put the camera on it for shooting a sample scene but after taking 5 mins ( about ) the waves came again :| !

51D6LMwyR0L._SX385_.jpg

the Kit i bought from shops recently is exactly this stuff on the amazon :
Link 1 : Amazon.com: DSLR Rig Shoulder Mount Movie Kit for DV Cameras & For Canon EOS Rebel T5i/T3/T3i/T2i/T1i/EOS 1D MARK III/1D MARK IV/1DS MARK II/5D/7D/20D/30D/40D/50D/60D/70D/XS/Xsi/Xti SLR Cameras and a Bonus Rain Cover: Camera & Photo
Link 2 : Amazon.com: ePhoto Premium DSLR Rig Movie Kit Shoulder Rig Mount, Shoulder Support Pad for Video Camcorder Camera DV DSLR Cameras, Canon 5D MK II , 7D , 60D ,600D (T3i), Nikon D90 D7000 D5100 D3100 D300s, Sony A65 A55, A33, A580, A560, DSR-PD198p, GH
Link 3 : Amazon.com: DSLR Rig Movie Kit Shoulder Mount: Camera & Photo

do you think this is the shared problem in this 2 time this happening to the camera ?

Thanks

Your answer is not very clear. Are you saying it ONLY happens when you have the camera mounted on this rig? If yes then does it happen EVERY time you have it mounted? Has the problem appeared when NOT on the rig?

ElyasX

Your answer is not very clear. Are you saying it ONLY happens when you have the camera mounted on this rig? If yes then does it happen EVERY time you have it mounted? Has the problem appeared when NOT on the rig?

right now ( up to now ) / just happened 2 times /
1 ) the day i posted this
2 ) Today

- now here i'm looking to the problem each time this happened ( both of them ) > before happening the problem i put the camera on the "Rig" / Right a few minutes after, this happened /

im saying maybe this is the cause ..

- Every time ? > Answer : Yes / ( if this is the fact ) ( Why im saying yes > cause i just mounted the camera on the rig only 2 times ! no more .. )

- No Never Happened again ( also the problem was fixed a few hours after get the camera from the rig [First issue] ), but the next time ( second time ) it appears again

and the common FACT in this 2 time is the rig ... ( right after mounting )

Thanks

Try shooting the same place and the same settings on the camera but WITHOUT the rig and see if the problem happens.

I find it hard to believe that this is the problem since it looks like this Rig has not power to it. Am I correct to assume that there is no batteries or electrical power to it?

Also are you shooting indoors and are there fluorescent lights in the area? Yes or no answer only to the lights please.

ElyasX

Try shooting the same place and the same settings on the camera but WITHOUT the rig and see if the problem happens.

I find it hard to believe that this is the problem since it looks like this Rig has not power to it. Am I correct to assume that there is no batteries or electrical power to it?

Also are you shooting indoors and are there fluorescent lights in the area? Yes or no answer only to the lights please.

i wanna shoot but consider this fact that the problem still affect the screen ( or sensor ) ... ( according to the first experience ) i leave the camera on the desk and went for sleep / after waking up the camera ( screen/sensor ) was ok , so can take this point that the problem ( or say the effect of the FACT was for few hours ) .

> now if i want to shoot right after get the camera off ( which it is off ) he problem still cause and continue and if i shoot the waves still are . [must wait]

=============

i know it's hard , and of course i didnt say it the reason , im just saying maybe there is a magnetic field caused the problem ( as Raymie mentioned ) ... but i dont know if there is any of it in this gear ( what i see it just all iron and plastics )
Yes there is now Power and batteries .

=============

Yes . Fluorescent lamps indoors ///// BUT i have to say i had lots of mini shooting from my self or others ( videos ) but never seen this on my videos or screen .

This is an example of shooting before .. ( about 3 month ago ) / No rig that time : iPhone Contest on Vimeoas You see here the light is Fluorescent but no effect .. ( the lights aren't that strong to cause these problem i think / and also if they are they must affect before long time ago . ( am i right ? )

=============

Q : Does the magnetic part have effect if any is located on the rig ? and the effect appears like this ?

Thanks / appreciate the helping

Raymie

If it IS a magnetic field then it doesn't have to be in the same room as you... It cold be 10 or 20 yards away and STILL effecting your camera... It depends on how strong the field is. The waves are definitely caused by something oscillating/pulsing...

The problem with florescent lights is not due to magnetic fields or being close, it is the light itself. Especially old florescent lights are at a frequency that is close the the same frequency as the video and when that happens it will show in the video. I don't think the rig you are using has any effect on what you are shooting. Next time you see the problem turn off the florescent lights and the problem will probably disappear immediately. Try that before you do anything else.

Raymie

It could be something as simple as a ceiling fan... :/ I'd love a good look around your house to try and work this out.