focusing

bandit993

I tried using Autumn scene mode today and the focus point went pretty much everywhere but where I wanted it. So I switched back to Aperture mode and took my pics. Why can't you pick your focus point in scene mode? I tried to move it to center but no go... Why would a camera think it knows what I want a pic of?
Thanks

Mark F

I tried using Autumn scene mode today and the focus point went pretty much everywhere but where I wanted it. So I switched back to Aperture mode and took my pics. Why can't you pick your focus point in scene mode? I tried to move it to center but no go... Why would a camera think it knows what I want a pic of?
Thanks

Scene mode puts the camera in preselected auto. In auto mode, the camera decides which area to focus on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

bandit993

That's what I figured was going on. That's a piece of crap. I guess the camera isn't as smart as it thinks it is. If all scene modes do that then they aren't much good... waste of programming to put them on the camera. and we pay for that crap.. Thank you for your reply.

Mark F

That's what I figured was going on. That's a piece of crap. I guess the camera isn't as smart as it thinks it is. If all scene modes do that then they aren't much good... waste of programming to put them on the camera. and we pay for that crap.. Thank you for your reply.

They're not really a piece of cr**. You can use them as a learning curve. Take notice ISO shutter speed aperture...
If you want a camera without all that... You need to upgrade to the next level of pro cameras d800, d4 etc...
So when you look at it this way, you don't really pay for something extra that's meant for consumers

pedroj

And they are still cheap with your so called crap...

ShootRaw

This is why it is important to learn your Iso,shutter speed,and aperture settings..The triangle is important to know..When you have that down,you can concentrate on your focusing a lot more...Out of focus shots have to be scrapped..

Rick M

Take a look at the settings scene modes are generating and replicate them manually; you'll end up with better pictures and you can shoot them in RAW.

Smoke

I have recently changed my focus to "Single point focus". So I get to pick what I am focusing on, not the camera's decision.

I have recently changed my focus to "Single point focus". So I get to pick what I am focusing on, not the camera's decision.

I generally always shoot in Single point focus. A couple of times recently I decided for some unknown reason to change to another mode. Got back home and looked at the pictures and none of them were good enough for me to use. They were all slightly off from what I expected. Good thing I was just out playing and the pictures weren't that important.

Mark F

good thread. I didn't realize the scene modes where all automatic. Is there no way to adjust them then?

Not unless you can hack the firmware... Which I highly do not recommend :)
Best is to use the scene modes and see what settings are used in each scene.. Then go to p mode and use that... Then you can experiment with A and S and then have fun playing with M mode. You will learn a lot about ISO aperture and shutter speed