D610 in 48 hrs.

Mark F

My take on this release of a D610 is this.... If this is what Nikon is supposedly releasing in a few days, a replacement for the d600, this soon after the initial release of the d600... then it should be a recall instead of a new release. I say that because Nikon has no other reason to release a newer camera body based on the d600 this soon after the initial release. If anything, it should be the D400 body instead. A recall would make more sense due to the complaints of shutter oil on the sensor. I'm lucky as I had to have the shutter replaced on my D600 early on, before the complaints even started, so I never experienced this kind of oil on my sensor. Putting out a d610 as a new body in order to fix an issue instead of a recall, IMHO, is like a slap in the face to all D600 owners... Even owners of the D300 and 300s who have been waiting for a d400 replacement.
If anything at all... a d610 release should come with a recall option to D600 owners.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
My take on this release of a D610 is this.... If this is what Nikon is supposedly releasing in a few days, a replacement for the d600, this soon after the initial release of the d600... then it should be a recall instead of a new release. I say that because Nikon has no other reason to release a newer camera body based on the d600 this soon after the initial release. If anything, it should be the D400 body instead. A recall would make more sense due to the complaints of shutter oil on the sensor. I'm lucky as I had to have the shutter replaced on my D600 early on, before the complaints even started, so I never experienced this kind of oil on my sensor. Putting out a d610 as a new body in order to fix an issue instead of a recall, IMHO, is like a slap in the face to all D600 owners... Even owners of the D300 and 300s who have been waiting for a d400 replacement.
If anything at all... a d610 release should come with a recall option to D600 owners.

I wish they would do something else besides replacing the shutter with one that still has the oil/dust problem--a recall would be terrific! After all, it is apparent they are simply replacing one bad shutter for another (and even 2 of their reps said they didn't believe the replacement shutter was redesigned). I'm having a terrible time getting mine fixed, and now there is a relatively large spot on my low pass filter from whatever they did during the latest repair.

If it weren't for this problem, the camera would probably be nice. However, I've been experiencing problems for about 75% of the time that I've owned mine so it is difficult for me to see its good points right now. :(

Mark F

Why should the 600 be 'recalled'? Based on what I've read here, the issues have been corrected.

Then why should we have a d600 replacement this soon after the original launch?
That's my point. My d600 works great, some don't. Recall it instead of doing a body replacement. Do they expect people that have real problems to ditch their camera and just buy the replacement?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Fred Kingston

Then using that logic, car makers should recall every new model car every year????? ;)

They have a recall program. It's called a warranty... I know hark feels bad, and I feel bad for him...but, sometimes you have too be persistent...

I bought a refurbed D600... I don't know why it was returned to Nikon, and I don't know what Nikon did to 'refurb' it... but I don't have a problem... (That's not a gloat, just a fact) And obviously many other folks haven't had a problem... Too many have had problems, but I think, under the circumstances, Nikon has worked to resolve the problems...

Mark F

Then using that logic, car makers should recall every new model car every year????? ;)

They have a recall program. It's called a warranty... I know hark feels bad, and I feel bad for him...but, sometimes you have too be persistent...

I bought a refurbed D600... I don't know why it was returned to Nikon, and I don't know what Nikon did to 'refurb' it... but I don't have a problem... (That's not a gloat, just a fact) And obviously many other folks haven't had a problem... Too many have had problems, but I think, under the circumstances, Nikon has worked to resolve the problems...

Car manufacturers make new models every year. Nikon makes new models every ??? Years? Unless nikon is going to also release a d810e, a d810, A d4s.... Then your logic makes sense.
IF nikon is releasing a d610... Then it is a body that has answered the warrantee issues.... That should be a recall IMO.
I'm sorry about others that have experienced this oil problem... I'm also tired of hearing it. Obviously nikon is too.. IF they are releasing a new body in the d600 line.
Unless the d610 contains a considerable amount of new controls.. More focus points, etc... Then this is nothing but a fixed version of the d600 and it should be offered to problematic d600 owners as a recall.

Rick M

Nikon often "upgrades" bodies after a year, look at the D5200 to D5300 and some other bodies. If there is a significant upgrade to the D600 specs than this is not unusual, it has been over a year. Waiting for the D300 replacement (D400) is consumers wanting Nikon to make something they choose not to (I was one of the hopefuls too). Body lines get dropped and some continue, just like any other product.

Nikon's position is to ignore the D600 (just like the D7000) has a problem and deal with warranty coverage. They are obviously very inconsistent with how they deal with it, which again points to ignoring the issue. There will be no credit/recall/discount for current D600 owners in my opinion, once again, that goes along with there stance that there is no issue.

Fred Kingston

I'm not condoning it, but I can certainly understand the corporate philosophy of just sticking to warranty repair... If they start a recall/credit process outside of a warranty process... they open themselves up to doing that every time there's a design problem.

​Car makers 'recall' and fix their problems... they don't give you your money back... except under extreme conditions on a one-to-one basis... Certainly not on a fleet basis...

Mark F

This all comes on the back of a brick and mortar sales rep saying nikon is releasing a newer body, along with nikon rumors saying which body. Nikon corporate denies it so far. We shall see. You know my opinion... It should be offered as a recall/replacement to d600 owners with the problems this upgrade has fixed. Nikon, and the corporate greed will probably not offer it.. Because they know people will buy it.
But, I still haven't heard of any official release... Nikon rumors gets it right 50% of the time.
To respond... You are correct.. Auto manufactures recall/fix issues. I don't think d600 owners want their money back... Just acknowledge the problem, offer a recall to fix the problem. That would kind of justify the release of a d610 body since all the specs seem to state it's the same except for the shutter mechanism.
This could truly be a decent upgrade, nobody knows yet. All I'm saying is that with the specs that are out there... It's a repaired d600 with the d610 stamp on it

Last edited:

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Why should the 600 be 'recalled'? Based on what I've read here, the issues have been corrected.

Obviously you haven't read about my problems with the D600. It's been for repair twice within a 3-4 week time frame, and not only does it still have the oil/dust issue, there is a large enough spot on the low pass filter that's never been there previously. So it will be going in for a 3rd time. The replacement shutters are the same shutters they've been using all along.

Rick M

The disconnect between what should be done and what actually happens is a very unfortunate trend in most businesses now. Yesterday I had a run in with my cable company, my 25 years of business without a single late payment means nothing to them. They had changed my bill the prior month offering a new discount and told me my bill was about $5 less and to send in the lower amount. This month they say I underpaid by $5 last month and my bill is due immediately upon receipt!

If you annoy Verizon, their policy is to drop you because they don't need you. Nikon and Canon are no different.

Mark F

Obviously you haven't read about my problems with the D600. It's been for repair twice within a 3-4 week time frame, and not only does it still have the oil/dust issue, there is a large enough spot on the low pass filter that's never been there previously. So it will be going in for a 3rd time. The replacement shutters are the same shutters they've been using all along.

Unfortunately... If nikon doesn't offer recall/repair option or acknowledge that some cameras have this issue... It's because they want you to pay for shutter repairs after warrantee is over.. Or just buy a new repaired d600 with the name d610 attached. We are all made out of money... Right?

Mark F

Nikon often "upgrades" bodies after a year, look at the D5200 to D5300 and some other bodies. If there is a significant upgrade to the D600 specs than this is not unusual, it has been over a year. Waiting for the D300 replacement (D400) is consumers wanting Nikon to make something they choose not to (I was one of the hopefuls too). Body lines get dropped and some continue, just like any other product.

Except the d5100 vs the d5200 came with significant upgrades.. 11-39 focus points. 16-24 mp. etc.
The specs on the d610 aren't that significant. Thats my point.
If we are all wrong here... and nikon puts out a d610 that has specs that are of a significant difference... then its justifiable.

carguy

Based on information available, your situation, while it sucks, is in the minority. Any item has issues like that, some people can buy a new car and have it 10 years without issue, others can have it in the shop many times a year. Things happen.

Rick M

Except the d5100 vs the d5200 came with significant upgrades.. 11-39 focus points. 16-24 mp. etc.
The specs on the d610 aren't that significant. Thats my point.
If we are all wrong here... and nikon puts out a d610 that has specs that are of a significant difference... then its justifiable.

​I agree, we shall see :)

Rick M

I just got a response from my local dealer on FB saying "If there is a new model announced on the 7th or 8th, we will have it in 1-4 weeks"

riverside

I'm not condoning it, but I can certainly understand the corporate philosophy of just sticking to warranty repair... If they start a recall/credit process outside of a warranty process... they open themselves up to doing that every time there's a design problem.

​Car makers 'recall' and fix their problems... they don't give you your money back... except under extreme conditions on a one-to-one basis... Certainly not on a fleet basis...

That's the real world.