Gaussin Blur

pedroj

Aperture F22...Shutter 1.3 sec...ISO100...Exposure Comp -3...

I added gaussin blur to the water to give it a longer exposure look...Does it work...

Sunrise Oct 3rd 023.jpg

nikonpup

i do not like the sea and seashore. I would think there would be more white in the waves even at the late hour. I will have to look up gaussin blur never heard of it. I like the sky. OUCH MY BRAIN WENT INTO BLUR MODE DELETE DELETE DELETE. :)

Last edited:

BackdoorArts

It's OK, but not great for the effect - though likely better than other blur choices. I like to use it to enhance DoF and have been playing with different layer techniques to get it to look "right". In a photo like this you have to be careful not to get ghosting from the blur at the transition points. I usually grow my selection a bit to include the outer edges and then use the mask and a soft edged brush to diffuse the edges a bit so they're not as noticeable.

FastGlass

Not liking it. Looks more out of focus than the long shutter effect. Like the sky and think from the horizon down needs to be more exposed. Too underexposed.

Last edited by a moderator:

BackdoorArts

I saved the image and played with it a little and in lightening it up a bit it becomes immediately clear where the blurring fails. There are rocks within the water that are also blurred, and these need to be as smooth and clear as the ones in the foreground (which also need to be lightened, as FastGlass mentions). Water taken over time will also smooth itself out, so where you have small breakers at the shoreline you would expect to see less ridge and more smooth white. Same holds for the small waves in the water.

You could spend a lot of time in Photoshop with the original file trying to make it look that way, but ultimately it would pale to the real thing.

Last edited by a moderator:

pedroj

Jake Ive reduced the res of the original file and posted it here....If you like I can email you the original jpeg file for you to play with...

Sunrise Oct 3rd 023.jpg

Last edited:

fotojack

Yeah, that blur doesn't do it for me either. Also, the foreground is way too dark. Like Jake said, it doesn't come close to the real thing. A shame, too, because the sky is spectacular! :)

BackdoorArts

Unless you can put the RAW file somewhere that I can pull it down it's not worth playing with. Even then, I don't have the time to spend on it that it would take to really try and do something with the sea.

pedroj

Thanks all for your comments and time....I tried putting the raw file on my Smugmug site, but it doesn't allow that type of file...

Thanks for your help..