Scenic Bucks County, PA

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
If you have any photos of Bucks County, PA to share, please feel free to post them in this thread.

Quite often the tourism for Bucks County, PA advertises it as Scenic Bucks County. When the leaves change, it can get quite beautiful especially if there isn't a Nor'easter that rolls through (coastal storm that comes up the east coast of the US and affects New Jersey as well as Bucks County and Philly)--Nor'easters easily blow the beautiful fall leaves right off the trees with the hurricane force winds.

Although peak season in Bucks County isn't until the last 10 days or so of this month, there are some beautiful sites to see. This is one of the 13 covered bridges that still stands in the county. Lots of the colorful leaves were actually brought out in post processing--Photoshop Elements 10. I intentionally underexposed -0.3 stop for greater color saturation. The EXIF data is posted below this photo.

In another thread, I asked if anyone ever tried out an Intensifier Filter on a DSLR (it enhances the reds and yellows). BackdoorHippie said he didn't think it would be necessary especially if using a Circular Polarizer, and he's absolutely correct! If I can pull out this much color so early in the fall season, imagine how much more colorful the scenes will be later this month! :D

I have a few more photos that I will be adding over the next week or so.

Van Sandt resize.jpg

Nikon D90
Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8
aperture f/11
shutter 1/100"
ISO 200 (lowest regular ISO on D90)
Focal length 24mm
Circular Polarizer
tripod
PSE 10

BackdoorArts

Always happy to be proven right. :)

The colors here in Warren County are just starting to change in spots. This Indian Summer is slowing things down a bit. Hoping to get out on Sunday and shoot some near the Water Gap, but I suspect the colors there are still a week or so away.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
While I've photographed this bridge a few times, I never heard it referenced as 'Cry Baby Bridge'. After posting the bridge photo to Facebook, someone commented stating only Crybaby Bridge. Then yesterday this article appeared in my FB Newsfeed: Bucks County

Hmm.... I never looked beneath the bridge to see how deep it is, but for some reason, I never thought of it as being deep--certainly not high enough for someone to get killed jumping off of it. So I'll have to check it out the next time I'm in the area! ;)

Pretzel

Not to knock the story of the bridge... EVERY county in America has a "Crybaby Bridge". Some counties, even more than one. I've been to about 10 different ones in my day, and although with the story in mind in the middle of the night, they are indeed creepy, I've never run into anything except cool old bridges. ;)

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Previously I uploaded a photo of this local waterfalls in another thread (please see attachment). I was able to return last week--the colors hadn't turned much, but with the help of PSE10, I was able to draw out the muted colors.

10610889103_f592cf97a9_b.jpg

Attachments

• 025 edit resize.jpg
    025 edit resize.jpg
    172.9 KB · Views: 722

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Here are a couple of photos from Core Creek Park. The park tends to display some amazing colors during the fall season.

I'm not sure if anyone can see the big bird at the end of the dock, but if so, does anyone know what it is? I'm not familiar with these types of water-loving birds other than seagulls. There is a 100% cropped photo that follows so hopefully you can get a better view.

10607338166_dd3af3e72f_b.jpg

100% crop of the bird in question:

059 edit bird.jpg

And here's another photo of the dock:

10607335946_8bcbbe3c09_b.jpg

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Not to knock the story of the bridge... EVERY county in America has a "Crybaby Bridge". Some counties, even more than one. I've been to about 10 different ones in my day, and although with the story in mind in the middle of the night, they are indeed creepy, I've never run into anything except cool old bridges. ;)

Well that's new info to me! Thanks! :)

Pretzel

Here are a couple of photos from Core Creek Park. The park tends to display some amazing colors during the fall season.

I'm not sure if anyone can see the big bird at the end of the dock, but if so, does anyone know what it is? I'm not familiar with these types of water-loving birds other than seagulls. There is a 100% cropped photo that follows so hopefully you can get a better view.

​Looks like a Blue Heron or something closely related.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
​Looks like a Blue Heron or something closely related.

You might very well be correct with this info. I Googled blue heron so I could see what one looks like then reviewed some of my other images. It does look like a blue heron. Thanks Pretzel. :)

BackdoorArts

Then yesterday this article appeared in my FB Newsfeed: Bucks County
/QUOTE]

Am I the only one bothered by the cover photo that goes with this story? Not only is it a bad photo, but it's not even mentioned in the article. Speaking of which, I've stayed at the Wedgewood Inn. No ghosts. I know these things. ;)

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Am I the only one bothered by the cover photo that goes with this story? Not only is it a bad photo, but it's not even mentioned in the article. Speaking of which, I've stayed at the Wedgewood Inn. No ghosts. I know these things. ;)

Jake, where was the cover photo taken? I'm not familiar with several of the locations that were mentioned and don't recognize the cover photo.

BackdoorArts

I don't recognize it either, which is how I know it's not one of the places - I clicked on every link and none of the places where it. The only one without a photo is the Aaron Burr house, and I've walked past that countless times over the years. So, I just went back and started scrolling through the various Bucks County attractions and found it in the list of Museums. It's the Moravian Pottery & Tile Works in Doylestown. At least the photo on the search page says it is. The photo of the tile works that you get when you click on the link is far better.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
So...I sent them a PM and asked why that photo was used. ;) Let's see what they say. :)

Marilynne

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
H

100% crop of the bird in question:

View attachment 58065

Yes, that's a great blue heron and the others are cormorants.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Yes, that's a great blue heron and the others are cormorants.

Marilynne and Pretzel, I really appreciate learning which bird this is. There were 3 women sitting at a nearby picnic table asking me if it was a grebe. Of course I had to tell them I didn't know, but when I got home a looked up grebe, I knew that wasn't it. Another time when I took some photos of sailboats, one of the boaters said it was cool an osprey showed up in one of the photos. Again, I had no idea what one was until looking it up. Guess I'll be learning more about nature through photography! ;)

Oh--Marilynne, thanks for the comment about the cormorants, too. My mother asked about those other birds, but again I didn't know. I do have a few bird books buried on a bookshelf--time to get them out! :)