From a D40 to D7100

carguy

May I come in to play?

Finally took the plunge this week. Bought a Nikon/Manuf refurb D7100 body from Roberts Camera :)

Came today, picked up two ScanDisk Ultra Class 10 32GB cards and starting to play tonight.

I've been watching videos this week to get a handle on the settings, etc. This will be fun.

Are there any 'must do' settings out of the box?

Attachments

• 20131002_180736_1.jpg
    20131002_180736_1.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 7,192

Horoscope Fish

Congrats! Having gone from a D40 to a D7100 myself I can tell you you're going to be very happy with your decision.

As for settings, that depends... Which do you shoot, RAW or JPG? If you shoot RAW I'd say you're good to go probably but you'll have more options to play with and you can save settings on the U1 & U2 modes, which is sweet. If you shoot JPG you'll want to adjust the sharpness setting (again) in the Shooting Menu/Set Picture Control.

Ironwood

Congrats Joe, you got a good camera. I am loving mine.

I think the best idea is just start shooting and learn as you go, it will take some getting used to, but all worth it.

Last edited:

carguy

Yep, already set to RAW. Using card 2 as a backup to card 1. Played with the 50mm 1.8G at dusk tonight at the park. Looking forward to tomorrow after work already :)

More videos tonight...

fotojack

Congrats, Joe! :) I was wondering when you were going to make the jump up to a different model. I have a D40 and still love it, but there's nothing like having a more advanced camera in your arsenal. :) I hope you keep the D40 as a backup. :)

carguy

Congrats, Joe! :) I was wondering when you were going to make the jump up to a different model. I have a D40 and still love it, but there's nothing like having a more advanced camera in your arsenal. :) I hope you keep the D40 as a backup. :)
Thanks. I'll keep it for sure. It will be fun having my 6 year old son play with it a bit :)

DCB

I just made the same move. I love my D40 and it has served me well.

The D7100 is an amazing camera...does so much. Still learning...
​Peace

carguy

Downloading the first few images tonight, apparently there were only 1549 actuations on this one according to camerashuttercount.com, not too bad.
$899.99 shipped through Roberts Camera :)

Nothing exciting here. Snapped the 50mm 1.8G on last night and took a few test shots. I really like the solid feel of this camera and look forward to learning the features.

It was dusk last night

1/40
f1.8
50mm
ISO 100
+clarity and vibrance in LR 4.4

D7100 test shot by MichiganClassics.com, on Flickr

This is from today after work. Leaf bug on the house. Was playing with focus settings, many more options that the ole' D40 :)

1/125f2.0
50mm
ISO 100

D7100 test shot by MichiganClassics.com, on Flickr

Last edited: