Can't Figure Out What Speedlight/Flash I Should Get.

DeAnnè Marie

I have the D5200, and have been searching my head off on what flash/speedlight to get. I am going to be starting out with portraits and would like to be able to use my flash off of my camera. I am newly into flash photography so pardon me if I don't quite understand yet.

What would you guys recommend?

WhiteLight

If you wanna go blind and buy a no nonsense flash, which is easy to use for anyone & you don't really want to do much research, get the SB700.
Fantastic flash, works in most situations very well...

WhiteLight

SB700 But remember that your D5200 does not have commander mode so you are going to have to find a way to trigger it off camera.

Well, if it's just a single flash that she would use, the SB700 can still be controlled off camera in SU-4 mode.
Any more units, then a commander/flash triggers would be needed

DeAnnè Marie

Thanks, I actually have been looking at the SB700, I would have to get a cable for that to shoot off camera? I mean it's not a big deal because I'll be doing portraits...

carguy

Thanks, I actually have been looking at the SB700, I would have to get a cable for that to shoot off camera? I mean it's not a big deal because I'll be doing portraits...

You'll need a hotshoe adapter for the SB-700 as it does not have a port for some strange reason.

Tapp'n on the go