Coral Castle Homestead FL

Marilynne

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Chris and I did something different yesterday, we drove 1 1/2 hours south to the Coral Castle in Homestead FL. Actually, the drive down was 2 hours since I got on the turnpike and went north instead of south.

Anyway, Ed Leedskalnin came to America from Latvia and he built this for his sweetheart who decided not to marry him on the day before their wedding. It took him 28 years to build.

dsc_5646_01.jpg

It's not 10 cents anymore
dsc_5648_01.jpg

Quarry where he got his coral is on his property.
dsc_5539_01.jpg
dsc_5544_01.jpg

dsc_5548_01.jpg

Marilynne

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Relaxing, it was actually quite comfortable
dsc_5572_01.jpg
dsc_5574_01.jpg
Ed's house. He lived upstairs and the tools were stored below.

dsc_5576_01.jpg
State of FL, with Lake Okeechobee

dsc_5578_01.jpg
Stonehenge?
dsc_5580_01.jpg

PapaST

Oh wow, I'm glad you posted this. I've been wondering about this place lately. I remember visiting it when I was 8 or 9. I remember there was an In Search Of (with Leonard Nimoy) episode about this castle. And it was the inspiration for Billy Idol's song Sweet Sixteen. Billy Idol - Sweet Sixteen - YouTube It doesn't look like it's changed much. Love turned to Stone.

Marilynne

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Ed's telescope, only good for viewing Polaris, each of the quadrants is for the seasons.
dsc_5582_01.jpg
View hole

dsc_5584_01.jpg
Revolving door, no longer working
dsc_5615_01.jpg

Detention corner, the seat was for Ed

dsc_5617_01.jpg

Openings are for wife and child
dsc_5622_01.jpg

Marilynne

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Oh wow, I'm glad you posted this. I've been wondering about this place lately. I remember visiting it when I was 8 or 9. I remember there was an In Search Of (with Leonard Nimoy) episode about this castle. And it was the inspiration for Billy Idol's song Sweet Sixteen. Billy Idol - Sweet Sixteen - YouTube It doesn't look like it's changed much. Love turned to Stone.

I was there about 30 years ago. The main difference now is all the development around the area.

Moab Man

I lived there prior to and up until Hurricane Andrew wiped me out. I always wondered how the Coral Castle held up. It was such a fascinating place.

PapaST

Yeah, I actually tried to find the "In Search Of" episode from way back. I remember they suggest that maybe he used some unconventional means... magnetism, aliens, something weird.