Photograph Football Teams/Individuals Under 18th

gerfoto

Hello,
I have been asked to photograph a football team league which includes, coaches, under 18th years old and cheerleaders, and have a package to sell like team photo, individual photo, buddy photo, wallets. So, I was wondering about the release forms.

Questions:
1. Do i have to have a single release form of every individual by their parents/guardians. ? By the way, I am in CO.

2. Can i use the sample model release form that is being offered by the ASMP.org website?

​Thanks for your help,

Moab Man

I would speak to the school; if it's the school that has asked you to do this. I have done photography and video for a local school and they actually have a release signed at the start of the school year allowing for students to be photographed during events. There are a few students parents that have declined and I just have to be careful not to shoot them. If they don't have something in place it will be virtually impossible for you to get all these releases.

Browncoat

I would speak to the school; if it's the school that has asked you to do this. I have done photography and video for a local school and they actually have a release signed at the start of the school year allowing for students to be photographed during events. There are a few students parents that have declined and I just have to be careful not to shoot them. If they don't have something in place it will be virtually impossible for you to get all these releases.

There's a big difference between doing photography/video for the school versus what he's talking about doing. And no, it's not impossible. Print releases, bring pens. Easy.

Moab Man

There's a big difference between doing photography/video for the school versus what he's talking about doing. And no, it's not impossible. Print releases, bring pens. Easy.

Poor word choice on my part. For the school meant I was asked by the school to do this and offer it for sale to parents through the school like school pictures.

Browncoat

Anyone under 18 also needs a parent/guardian signature.

Colorado is one of about 15 states that does not require a model release by state law. There's about 20 states where it is state law (my state, Ohio, does) and several others have it outlined in local common law as a "suggestion when reasonably necessary".

Regardless of law requirements, a model release offers protection to the photographer against a lawsuit. If you're selling someone's likeness for profit, without a model release, they can come back on you and demand compensation. Frankly, it's just silly to photograph anyone without a model release if you intend on making money on those photos.

Browncoat

Poor word choice on my part. For the school meant I was asked by the school to do this and offer it for sale to parents through the school like school pictures.

Utah is one of those gray area states where verbal consent can be enough.

That thing schools have kids sign is mostly for their photo being published on a school website or in the local newspaper. It wouldn't protect you by offering school photos.

BackdoorArts

I am by no means an expert, but if this is set up through a league there may be something that parents signed when enrolling their kids that would cover this if you are being brought in by the team/league and not just doing it on your own. I'd check with the organization that runs the league and see if part of what they signed covers images. If not, having a model release wouldn't be a bad idea, though I suspect it would confuse some folks who might assume you're looking to sell the images to other people.

Krs_2007

All of the sports photographers here have a little spot on their order form which is the release and has to be signed by parents/guardian if the child is under 18.

I would look for local photographers that have an order form on their website and generate an order form like it. In the forms they also state that some pictures may be used for advertising so you need to know if you plan to use later and include that.

There is a lot of work here that if you dont have your ducks in a row then you will have frustrated parents. So more to focus on than just a release form. Remember if you deliver a bad product or experience then your name will forever be attached that. Parents of youth sports are extremely picky about photos, trust me I used to be the Vice President of our Football league and it was a nightmare every year.

Where are you going to order the pictures from?
What types of packages?
What background?
What time of day can everyone be there?
How much to charge for my time?
etc...etc...

funny this came up as I was just asked to do the same thing and turned it down because of all of the behind the scenes work that I am not ready for.

I do plan to this at a later date, but just not setup yet.

Good Luck and hope some of this helps, I am sure there is more but this is all I could think of at this time of day.

gerfoto

@Browncoat and everybody else. Thank you so much for your post. Very helpful information that will help me and help others.