My First Night Sky Star Photos

Brandonberg

Finally had a clear night sky so i was able to get out of town a little way and take some photos. These were my best two results. I attempted some foreground light painting in the second image.

Night Sky Stars CROP.jpg

D3100, AF-S DX 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR
18mm 30sec f/3.5 ISO400

Night Sky Trees CROP.jpg

D3100, AF-S DX 35mm f/1.8G
35mm 20sec f/2.2 ISO1600

- Brandon

Moab Man

Outstanding work! I would consider this an image to print. If you do print it go to a professional shop and not a convenience store generic print. Their machines try to auto correct colors and mess up the image. Second, print it large. Not having the illumination of a computer screen the stars tend to disappear on smaller printed images. Finally, for print, I crank up the contrast and brightness a little to help the colors show and the stars to burn through. they tend to look a little too contrasty on the computer screen, but I edit to print.

How much light pollution did you have to contend with - scale 1-10?

Outstanding work and once again proving it's not the equipment as much as it is the photographer!

Last edited:

Brandonberg

Outstanding work! I would consider this an image to print. If you do print it go to a professional shop and not a convenience store generic print. Their machines try to auto correct colors and mess up the image. Second, print it large. Not having the illumination of a computer screen the stars tend to disappear on smaller printed images. Finally, for print, I crank up the contrast and brightness a little to help the colors show and the stars to burn through. they tend to look a little too contrasty on the computer screen, but I edit to print.

How much light pollution did you have to contend with - scale 1-10?

Outstanding work and once again proving its not the equipment as much as it is the photographer!

Thanks Mate!

Astro photography is one of the reasons i wanted to pick up the camera but had to learn the rest before i could get a decent photo of the night sky. Thanks for the print advice, i have noticed that straight out printing does result in some colour dullness due to the change in medium. It was reasonaby dark night and very clear sky. I was about 60km out of town on a tree farm plantation. I would say the light polution about 3 on the Bortle scale.

​- Brandon