Blue Bridge

Lawrence

Full critique highly appreciated.

This was taken with the kit lens of a D5100
f5.3 with a 3 second exposure
Lens at 44mm

Bridge 1.JPG

Lawrence

Its a bit sad that no-one seems to critique these photos (I've had a look at a few) in a forum specifically for that purpose. Is there any point in having it?

Now before you go saying "Yeah … well I don't see you commenting on any of them either!" let me explain.

Believe me you don't want my comments as I am right at the bottom of the learning curve trying to get to the top.

Anyway I just wanted to mention that and would welcome any criticism (of my photo) ;)

Scott Murray

Hi Lawrence, I would like it cropped in tighter from the left and right. Also maybe consider removing the bush that is protruding in front of the bridge in the foreground. The subject is the bridge itself and I see no need for that much foreground stuff ;).
I am too learning all the time and am always looking for C&C.

Lawrence

Hi Lawrence, I would like it cropped in tighter from the left and right. Also maybe consider removing the bush that is protruding in front of the bridge in the foreground. The subject is the bridge itself and I see no need for that much foreground stuff ;).
I am too learning all the time and am always looking for C&C.

Hi Scott. THANK YOU! Your comments most appreciated. Yeah the foreground. This was as close as I could get without falling into the water so the bush was unavoidable. I am thinking of going back with a flash to highlight the bush just to see the effect..

Thanks once again. :D

RookieDSLR

I would also like to see the bush in the direct center of the image cut out, as well as it being cropped tighter on the bridge itself. There is two little light above the bridge on the middle left side that need to be cut out, a little distracting IMO. Other than that I love the deep blacks and the neat color of the bridge. Keep up the good work. Thanks

Jeremy V

Browncoat

Its a bit sad that no-one seems to critique these photos (I've had a look at a few) in a forum specifically for that purpose. Is there any point in having it?

A lot of people are unwilling to offer critiques because they don't want to hurt anyone's feelings if they don't like the photo. It's easy for anyone to toss around "great job!" when they see something they like, but it's not always easy to put into words why you don't like something.

As for my own thoughts on this photo...you can do better than this. You have the right idea, but the execution just isn't there yet. Ask yourself this question:

What made you take a photo of this bridge in the first place?

Were you just sitting around watching All in the Family re-runs one night and just leap out of your chair to proclaim, "I need to take a photo of that blue bridge!", then speed off in your car in the middle of the night? Were you just stumbling around in the dark looking for glitterbugs and you came across this bridge? Why are you taking THIS photo?

I have to assume that you like the way the blue lights contrast against the dark sky, and that you like the way the lights reflect on the water. Assuming that I'm correct, I have to ask: "Then why did you choose a viewpoint where there's a big friggin' bush right in the middle of your composition?"

1) Define your purpose. What about this bridge speaks to you? When you answer that...

2) How can I best show what I like about this bridge? And then...

3) When can I best show what I like about this bridge?

On a technical level, this photo is not very good. It suffers from composition issues with that bush in the way, and whatever that strange red glow is coming from the left side.

Solution: move to a different location. Find a better angle, preferably a location that is closer without as many distractions. Can you get to the spot near where that boat is? It's closer and it looks like you can get right out on the shoreline without anything in front of you. Can you get directly under the bridge? That would be a cool shot, too.

This photo is also too dark. Perhaps try shooting during the blue hour, use a longer exposure, or try HDR if you have the means.

Lawrence

A lot of people are unwilling to offer critiques because they don't want to hurt anyone's feelings if they don't like the photo. It's easy for anyone to toss around "great job!" when they see something they like, but it's not always easy to put into words why you don't like something.

As for my own thoughts on this photo...you can do better than this. You have the right idea, but the execution just isn't there yet. Ask yourself this question:

What made you take a photo of this bridge in the first place?

Were you just sitting around watching All in the Family re-runs one night and just leap out of your chair to proclaim, "I need to take a photo of that blue bridge!", then speed off in your car in the middle of the night? Were you just stumbling around in the dark looking for glitterbugs and you came across this bridge? Why are you taking THIS photo?

I have to assume that you like the way the blue lights contrast against the dark sky, and that you like the way the lights reflect on the water. Assuming that I'm correct, I have to ask: "Then why did you choose a viewpoint where there's a big friggin' bush right in the middle of your composition?"

1) Define your purpose. What about this bridge speaks to you? When you answer that...

2) How can I best show what I like about this bridge? And then...

3) When can I best show what I like about this bridge?

On a technical level, this photo is not very good. It suffers from composition issues with that bush in the way, and whatever that strange red glow is coming from the left side.

Solution: move to a different location. Find a better angle, preferably a location that is closer without as many distractions. Can you get to the spot near where that boat is? It's closer and it looks like you can get right out on the shoreline without anything in front of you. Can you get directly under the bridge? That would be a cool shot, too.

This photo is also too dark. Perhaps try shooting during the blue hour, use a longer exposure, or try HDR if you have the means.

You see this is what I call a decent critique.

And before I try and answer specifics (which are only for my own benefit) I would like to state for all members here that if ever i put up a photo for critique then I want the bad news more than I want the good. There is no way I will ever improve with "No comment" and "Cool photo". And by the very same token if ever I get to the point where i feel that my criticism can help someone and I do make a comment then the intention would be to help. There will be nothing personal in it. OKAY? Y'all got that?

Browncoat you raise valid points! Why indeed.

At the time of taking the image I had exactly 5 days of DSLR experience and had seen the bridge on previous evenings. Yes the blue looked nice against the night sky but my sole motivation was merely to see if I could actually do a night exposure. This was my very first effort and I recall folding up my tripod and rushing away as soon as I saw the image on the screen. i think secretly I was so thrilled about succeeding that I ran before it disappeared from the camera.

As for position. This was the closest I could get for this angle (the best angle by far). I could get close by going around to the right but would then not have had the boat and the "strange red glow" (port light guide for shipping) would have completely dominated the shot.

With the particular tide on the night there was no way to get closer but this is an option for another shot - but then …. the tide will be out so less water as this is the entrance to a tributary.

As for the little bush in front of me - this is New Zealand and you need parliamentary approval to mow your lawn here. Cutting trees or bushes is the closest crime to Capital Punishment.

All that being said sounds like an excuse and it isn't. I am delighted with your comments and have printed them with a view to referring to them often so that my reason for shooting is clear in my head in future.

Thank you for taking the time to comment.