Cannot get Bracelet to be in Focus

photomad

Hi.
I have bought a Lightbox, placed a ladies Bracelet within it and am trying to photograph it, but am struggling. I can get the bracelet to be in Focus at the Back, or Front, but not both. Please see attachment.

Camera used: Nikon D5200

Lens used: Nikon 60mm 2.8

Settings used, 1/60, F2.8, ISO 100.

I tried increasing ISO but then my light is just not powerful enough to cater for a higher F stop such as F28, as some one told me that that's the only way I can get the entire bracelet to be in focus.

Can some one please advise/guide me?

Many Thanks

Attachments

• focusing.jpg
    focusing.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 133
Last edited by a moderator:

Moab Man

Your aperture is too low at f2.8. You need to crank it up. Then use a longer exposure time to accumulate enough light.

You are using a tripod?

Looking at it further, you need to crop in tighter on it too. You have dark corners.

Last edited:

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
The short answer is… Drum roll: " tripod, increase your shutter speed and use f16.

Horoscope Fish

Distance to your subject is going to be an issue as well.

At 60mm your depth of field, even at f/16 with the subject two feet away, is going to measure two-tenths of a foot; or about three inches, give or take. At one foot, and assuming f/16, your depth of field drops to .04 feet. This is probably why you're getting frustrated.

At 100mm, f/16, and assuming that same five feet, your DOF is up to almost six inches which I think would work for you.

Bob Blaylock

Hi.
I have bought a Lightbox, placed a ladies Bracelet within it and am trying to photograph it, but am struggling. I can get the bracelet to be in Focus at the Back, or Front, but not both. Please see attachment.

Camera used: Nikon D5200

Lens used: Nikon 60mm 2.8

Settings used, 1/60, F2.8, ISO 100.

I tried increasing ISO but then my light is just not powerful enough to cater for a higher F stop such as F28, as some one told me that that's the only way I can get the entire bracelet to be in focus.

Can some one please advise/guide me?

I am, in general, in agreement with what nearly everyone else here has said. Use a tripod, if necessary, a slow shutter speed, if necessary, and a small aperture setting to get greater depth of field. This is probably the best way, by far.

There is one other way, that someone hinted at, but didn't give anything more useful beyond that:

Other than using a tripod, focus stacking would be needed in most such situations

As it happens, earlier today, I got it in my head to try experimenting with focus stacking.

I downloaded and tried several different programs. The one that produced a satisfactory result, and which I think might work for you, was CombineZP

From this series of photographs…

DSC_3245.jpgDSC_3246.jpgDSC_3247.jpgDSC_3248.jpgDSC_3249.jpgDSC_3250.jpg

…I produced this.

New-Out99999.jpg

Browncoat

Focus stacking isn't necessary. You need to understand depth of field and how to balance the exposure triangle. A Google search for those two terms will send you well on your way to knocking this one out of the park.

There are 3 parts to the exposure triangle: ISO, shutter speed, and aperture. Here is what we know for sure:
- Because this is a detail macro shot, you need to be at ISO 200.
- Your aperture will need to be f/8-f/16 to get this entire bracelet in focus.

2 of the 3 sides of your exposure triangle are therefore decided. You just need to adjust your shutter speed so that you get the shot you need. Experiment.