Exposure bracketing not "taking"

jcarrera

D5000. I have set bracketing for exposure bracketing. I check it in the info screen (lower right corner) and yes, it says it is ON, "BKT AE 1.5;" But it never make the three exposures as bracketing is supposed to do. I have done this before, but long ago, and it worked. Anybody have any ideas what I am doing wrong that is causing it to not do the bracket exposures?

Mfrankfort

Are you sliding the dial to make the little lines separate? On the D600 atleast, you have to tell it how far you want it to do the exposures apart. All 3 lines start in the middle, then you slide the dial to get them to move further from "correct" exposure. If all 3 are on the correct exposure, it won't do anything. Slide the dial to about 1 stop over/under, and then snap 3 pictures.

nickt

Are you looking for it to be a burst of shots? If bracketing is on, you have to press the shutter each time to complete the bracket series. OR you can set then camera to continuous and hold the button down, then you will get all shots. I think the self timer will take all 2 or 3 at once too.

jcarrera

Are you sliding the dial to make the little lines separate? On the D600 atleast, you have to tell it how far you want it to do the exposures apart. All 3 lines start in the middle, then you slide the dial to get them to move further from "correct" exposure. If all 3 are on the correct exposure, it won't do anything. Slide the dial to about 1 stop over/under, and then snap 3 pictures.
The D5000 lets you manually select off, 0.5, 1.0, 1.5, or 2.0 for the +/ - 'adds.' I have it on 1.5, but tried some others with same results...no second and third exposures are created.

jcarrera

Are you looking for it to be a burst of shots? If bracketing is on, you have to press the shutter each time to complete the bracket series. OR you can set then camera to continuous and hold the button down, then you will get all shots. I think the self timer will take all 2 or 3 at once too.
Whoa. Will have to experiment with this...when I did it 'back when,' I am sure I only did one shutter release and camera did all three shots. I will experiment.

jcarrera

I did get it to do the three exposures by separate, individual shutter release presses. but...

Awkward (how long do you wait between, what happens if you only press once or twice...is your next picture two minutes later of a different subject going to be exposed with the + delta inserted --being the untaken last one of the previous set?!!)

I set release mode to continuous, and after a few experiments, it seem to be reliably clicking off all three.!!!
PROBLEM SOLVED and major thanks.

ASIDE: I do wish Nikon had stored them in monotonically increasing or decreasing order instead of as-set, minus delta, plus delta, which is disconcerting as you step through them. Nit I know, but annoying.

nickt

I did get it to do the three exposures by separate, individual shutter release presses. but...

Awkward (how long do you wait between, what happens if you only press once or twice...is your next picture two minutes later of a different subject going to be exposed with the + delta inserted --being the untaken last one of the previous set?!!)

I set release mode to continuous, and after a few experiments, it seem to be reliably clicking off all three.!!!
PROBLEM SOLVED and major thanks.

ASIDE: I do wish Nikon had stored them in monotonically increasing or decreasing order instead of as-set, minus delta, plus delta, which is disconcerting as you step through them. Nit I know, but annoying.
I think it would wait indefinitely until you changed something or turned it off. Its a good way to screw up a lot of pictures if you forget. Continuous will take all shots as long as you hold it long enough. I don't have a d5000, but I'm thinking if you set the self timer, you would get the whole series when the timer shoots. I'm not sure off hand if you need to be in continuous mode too along with self timer.

jcarrera

I think it would wait indefinitely until you changed something or turned it off. Its a good way to screw up a lot of pictures if you forget. Continuous will take all shots as long as you hold it long enough. I don't have a d5000, but I'm thinking if you set the self timer, you would get the whole series when the timer shoots. I'm not sure off hand if you need to be in continuous mode too along with self timer.
The self timer would inject a delay in getting the shot off, so I am content with the continuous setting. It seems to just shoot the three that are needed and does not keep on going. So, that works fine for me.

I've just had problems, for example, when I am documenting an event--in the order of, say, 300 documenting two days. I'll do a few tests at the beginning each day and think I have the exposure set so the metering is giving me good exposures, then when it is over, I find many that are either overexposed or underexposed--usually all in the same direction. That's why I want the bracketing, though I hate the extra time of going through and throwing out the two unneeded copies of EVERY frame. I guess I am not enamored with the consistency of the metering on this camera.

Last edited:

nickt

Yeh, the timer is a good choice for a tripod shot where it would also be helpful to not shake the camera. A 2 second delay could be annoying for a hand held shot. Maybe center weighted or spot metering would help, depending on what you are shooting especially if the background is changing a lot in brightness. Do you shoot raw? There is a lot more latitude to bring up shadows or turn down the highlights, but that might be more post processing work than you want with shooting 300 shots.

jcarrera

Yeh, the timer is a good choice for a tripod shot where it would also be helpful to not shake the camera. A 2 second delay could be annoying for a hand held shot. Maybe center weighted or spot metering would help, depending on what you are shooting especially if the background is changing a lot in brightness. Do you shoot raw? There is a lot more latitude to bring up shadows or turn down the highlights, but that might be more post processing work than you want with shooting 300 shots.

No RAW as I never really have anything THAT important. I usually do high quality jpg which gives me enough room to do some post processing on the 2 or 3 a year I need to.

Speaking of that, I noticed this week that whatever algorithm Google is using in online Picasa albums to do what they call "enhance" is really good.