Weird distortion in photos.

PhilipDjerkza

Hi everybody! So I've been having an issue lately that my pictures will come out with a weird sort of "distortion". I put it between inverted commas since I don't know what it is or how to call it. Anyway, here's a demo pic to show what I'm talking about:
DSC_0010_mini(1).jpg
(Don't mind the pink line on the right, that's just a NEF to JPEG conversion software issue).
My settings for the pic were:
  • f3.8
  • Shutter Speed 1/60
  • ISO Auto 720
  • Focal Lenght 20mm (non 35mm equivalent)
  • Built-In Flash.

Attachments

• DSC_0010_mini.jpg
    DSC_0010_mini.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 155

PhilipDjerkza

Hi! My problem is that I'm seeing some kind of blur in the whole picture, but it gets more pronounced to the side of the jeans. Through my viewfinder I see that the object is in focus and then when I look at the picture I get this "motion blur" although the camera was not moving and the shutter speed was high enough.
Another example:
DSC_0002.jpg
The "lines" on the black background are supposed to be white dots.

What lens are you using? Also you might have some sort of setting on the camera that might be doing this. Try resetting the camera back to factory settings. Your manual will tell you how to do this. Also what focus settings are you using? It still looks like it is just out of focus.

PhilipDjerkza

I'm using a Nikon D3200 with the Kit Lens (AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-55mm f3.5-5.6G VR). I was using Single-servo AF for the first photo and Manual for the second one. I'll try resetting to default and see how that goes.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
If your shutter speed is high enough, then maybe you should test without the VR. I've read that on high shutter speeds, sometimes VR can cause blur. Never proved it for myself, but I'm just saying you've got to test different things to find the real culprit.

pedroj

Welcome PhillipDJerkza...

Has your technique altered...It looks like the camera is moving...

I would try upping the shutter speed some and put the camera on a tripod and try that....

PhilipDjerkza

So, I've tried both solutions and none of them worked. I still get that "blur". I don't know if it has to do with either the lens or the sensor, cause my settings are all back to default and I still have the problem.

Also, this problem did not happen before (I bought the camera last month). I think I might just have to take it to repair.

pedroj

So, I've tried both solutions and none of them worked. I still get that "blur". I don't know if it has to do with either the lens or the sensor, cause my settings are all back to default and I still have the problem.

Also, this problem did not happen before (I bought the camera last month). I think I might just have to take it to repair.

Only thing to do....Which camera did you have before...

STM

Some lenses have problems with flatness of field at close focusing distances. I am not familiar wih this lens but this may be what is happening

snaphappy

I had an issue like this a couple months ago and was frustrated with my blurry photos so went to change my lens and realized the lens wasn't quite in proper locked position. I turned the lens a fraction of a millimeter and suddenly lens worked fine. Just a thought and a simple check just in case

I had an issue like this a couple months ago and was frustrated with my blurry photos so went to change my lens and realized the lens wasn't quite in proper locked position. I turned the lens a fraction of a millimeter and suddenly lens worked fine. Just a thought and a simple check just in case

Sometimes we tend to overlook the obvious and simple solutions. Is the lens clean? Is it locked in place good? Do you have another lens to put on and see it the problem follows?

PhilipDjerkza

So yeah, I figured out something is broken in the lock system of either the lens or the camera, because i tried moving it and it was in focus. But, if i move it to the side, the picture gets dark. The lens is clean in both sides, and it locks very well. Sadly, I don't have another lens to test.