Camera Labs D7000 Video Review

Sesame

I'm wondering as a new member to this forum, why there hasn't been a response to this review of the 7k.

Is it because the limitations that have been highlighted are valid & I should either buy a Canon 60D or a D90

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member
Hi Sesame - I would get the D7000 just for the ISO range, autofocus, new sensor, and custom setting capabilities. Luckily some issues have been addressed regarding hot pixels in video recently.

Sesame

I'm more concerned about the 6FPS limitations the review showed (video 2)
This cannot be addressed by a firmware update, can it?

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member
yeh, I doubt a firmware update would make the write speed faster. However, a faster memory card would definitely help. The table in the manual is based on a 8gb class 10 Sandisk extreme (30mb/s). The d7000 will support the new SDXC cards, which have a much greater write speed of 104MB/sec (which unfortunately are really expensive right now)

d7000manual.jpg

Keep in mind too, you would only experience a slow down in writing to the card if you are RAW and taking more than 10 shots at a time, in which case the buffer would fill and you wouldn't get the full 6fps. In all honesty, you won't need that kind of performance unless you are shooting something that is super fast action, like sports.

AfterImage

As I pointed out in the other thread; if both cameras do not encounter buffer overrun at 5FPS but the Nikon can boost up to 6FPS in short sprints then the advantage goes to Nikon. I can't say for sure if the buffer handling can be expanded in a firmware update though. My gut says "no" but I'm really not that knowledgable on the subject.

I also don't think anyone was necessarily avoiding this topic. Both cameras are very new and the professional reviews are slowly leaking in. If you look at the specs of both cameras side by side the advantage is clearly for the D7000. The canon may have more MPs but without rediculous pixel-peeping on images shot through very expensive optics you'd be hard pressed to declare a "winner" there. The canon does have better video features and the nifty tilt screen; so if video is your thing the Canon may be a better choice (*note the Nikon AFs during video but the Canon does not so even video is neck and neck depending if you are serious or a casual user). Just about everywhere else the Nikon pulls ahead. 100% viewfinder vs 86%, 2 memory card slots vs 1, electronic rule-of-thrids grid, 6.3FPS vs 5 (*note conversation above), 39 points of AF vs 9, 2016 pixel metering vs 63 zones, 25600 ISO vs. 12800, better noise handling, etc etc etc...

Another thing to ask yourself... why has Canon already offered a $100 rebate on a camera that's weeks old? When I bought my D7000 the prices were $1199 vs $1099. For only an extra $100 I felt you got a significantly better camera. And, in my opinion, so did Canon.

Curt

Thanks guys, I am just sitting back taking it all in…lol.
The D7000 is starting to sound better and better.
I would never use the video feature, so any of those issues would not concern me in the least. Guess I will just keep gathering information, once again thanks guys for all the info J.

Kamper

I have been shooting the D7000 since November 2 and really enjoy the features. I upgraded from a D80 which I have used for close to 4 years, and the more pro features have been very welcomed. The biggest advantages I can see is the 6fps, the higher ISO ability, the CMOS sensor, the auto tracking features, live view and the video option, but to be very frank, I am still learning about the video and I think it is a nice option, but not really sure if I will use it that much.
One word of caution I would like to express about considering buying the D7000 as a first DSLR camera, DSLR photography has a steep learning curve and for some it will take years to master the features of a camera body, if the camera is too advanced the person could find the whole process too intimidating and not really even touch anywhere close to the user ability of the unit, might even find it uncomfortable to use and give up. It would be nice if I could have bought a D3S as my first body and been done with it, but like I say it would have been too intimidating for me, not to mention the cost issue. We have to learn to walk for we can run. Just my $0.02 Ken

sunny002

If any one is thinking of buying a D7000 for its video feature, I strongly suggest you buy a cheap HD Camcorder.
D7000 will not deliver to Nikons standard, let alone Nikon D7000 video doe snot even measure upto a cheap point and shoot camera.