D300 LCD Screen went wild

chebushev

Hi guys, new here.

This happened out of the blue. One second im taking pictures, the next im going what!?!?!
Issue:1. The information lcd on top is displaying random crap, its like the microchip went crazy.
2. The information inside the viewfinder is no present.
Things I have tried:
1. Remove battery, memory card, leave it off for hours
2. Charge the battery completely.
3. Put in a rice bowl for 2 days.

I am running out of ideas, I bought this camera used, and its not worth sending to Nikon repair.
Does anyone have any suggestions?
BTW, I tried the hard reset (2 green buttons) and it didnt do anything.

Thanks guys

UPDATE:
I have emailed the seller who I bought the camera from. No response for several days.
So I went ahead and shipped it for Nikon. The same day I shipped it, the seller said to send it in, and he will replace it
So the camera arrived to Nikon, and they called me and said it will cost $250 to repair.
I am torn on what I should do.
Nikon: will clean my sensor, replace my crappy rubber grips, repair the problem, and send it back as new for $250
or the seller, will probably send me another comparable crappy D300 for the price of shipping EST: $20

Should I just have Nikon repair it and call it a day? What are your thoughts?

Attachments

• 20130927_095737.jpg
    20130927_095737.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 144
Last edited:

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
The only solution I can think of is to bring it to a camera shop or send it to Nikon. Why do you say it's not worth sending it to Nikon before knowing how much it would cost?

mikew_RIP

Just googled the problem and they where talking over heating or static electricity,no conclusion was reached though.

Welcome to the forum

chebushev

The reason is that I bought it for $300. And I can get another one for $450 now a days. I did an estimate on Nikon's website it was over $200. I don't know of any local repair shops I will have to ask around.

chebushev

Just googled the problem and they where talking over heating or static electricity,no conclusion was reached though.

Welcome to the forum
I tried searching I didn't know how to properly phrase it. Can you give me a link? Did they identify a solution , as in what needs to be replaced?
Thanks

BackdoorArts

I'm with Marcel. Even if the camera seems to be operating completely normal otherwise I'd want to make sure that the display isn't a symptom of another issue. The D300 is a great camera and unless it cost half of what a replacement would I'd seriously consider the repair - unless I was looking for an excuse to get a new camera, in which case I'd get the new camera and probably get this fixed anyway as a backup.

I'm assuming you're using Nikon branded batteries and not 3rd party stuff, right?

chebushev

I'm with Marcel. Even if the camera seems to be operating completely normal otherwise I'd want to make sure that the display isn't a symptom of another issue. The D300 is a great camera and unless it cost half of what a replacement would I'd seriously consider the repair - unless I was looking for an excuse to get a new camera, in which case I'd get the new camera and probably get this fixed anyway as a backup.

I'm assuming you're using Nikon branded batteries and not 3rd party stuff, right?

Yes its Nikon battery, I really like the D300, for what it is, but at this point i think it would make more sense to just save up for a new camera, the D7100 looks nice :)

mikew_RIP

I tried searching I didn't know how to properly phrase it. Can you give me a link? Did they identify a solution , as in what needs to be replaced?
Thanks

Would have no idea where it is now it was on from other pages,they where talking about the D700 but the problem was the same.as so often happens the guy never came back with the answer.

mike

fotojack

If you're going to toss it, I'll gladly take it off your hands, since no one would buy a damaged camera in that condition. I'll even pay you for shipping it to me. :)

JudeIscariot

Yes its Nikon battery, I really like the D300, for what it is, but at this point i think it would make more sense to just save up for a new camera, the D7100 looks nice :)
They are not comparable. The D300 has better features and a stronger body.

The D7100 is a great camera, and in ISO and MP and all, it's a step up, but it's really a step down in style.

chebushev

UPDATE:
I have emailed the seller who I bought the camera from. No response for several days.
So I went ahead and shipped it for Nikon. The same day I shipped it, the seller said to send it in, and he will replace it
So the camera arrived to Nikon, and they called me and said it will cost $250 to repair.
I am torn on what I should do.
Nikon: will clean my sensor, replace my crappy rubber grips, repair the problem, and send it back as new for $250
or the seller, will probably send me another comparable crappy D300 for the price of shipping EST: $20

Should I just have Nikon repair it and call it a day? What are your thoughts?

fotojack

That's exactly what I would do.....send it to Nikon and have THEM fix it as new! It's a no brainer to me, and well worth the $250 price tag.