How do I photograph drops of water?

brads

You've probably all seen photos like these but I'm interested to know how people capture the moment that a drop of water (or a ball bearing or similar) hits a coloured pool of water. It creates a 'crown' effect (similar to below). I gather it has to be in a fairly tight macro situation but is there a routine that people take for these shots? Cheers, Brad :)

5002734012_03f5a6cb49_z (1).jpg

RockyNH_RIP

You've probably all seen photos like these but I'm interested to know how people capture the moment that a drop of water (or a ball bearing or similar) hits a coloured pool of water. It creates a 'crown' effect (similar to below). I gather it has to be in a fairly tight macro situation but is there a routine that people take for these shots? Cheers, Brad :)

Brad,

This is the video I saw when I did mine...

How to photograph a splash of water - Week 52 - YouTube

There are many on the net but this was the one I used....

Also, here is a thread I started showing my drops and my setup....
http://nikonites.com/project-365-daily-photos/9961-rockynhs-project-365-2013-a-25.html#post115747

Pat in NH

Browncoat

There are a lot of tutorials on the internet on how to do this.

The two things you need most of: persistence and patience. The setup is fairly simple, and it helps to have good lighting and someone to assist you (one person to drop the water while you press the shutter button). Timing is the hardest part. Unless you get extremely lucky, it will take dozens of attempts to get something that looks cool.

RockyNH_RIP

The two things you need most of: persistence and patience. The setup is fairly simple, and it helps to have good lighting and someone to assist you (one person to drop the water while you press the shutter button). Timing is the hardest part. Unless you get extremely lucky, it will take dozens of attempts to get something that looks cool.

See mine above... I used a bag of water hanging with a pin hole to drop water... One person job... shot in short bursts..

You are so right on persistance & patience!! :)

Pat in NH

Carolina Photo Guy

The THIRD most important thing you need is...

A signed model release form! This will save you a whole lot of trouble later on!

Just-Clayton

I have done quite a bit of drops last year. Like everyone says, it's a patience game. I finally ended up doing most of my latest shots using manual and a trigger. I might even try it again. It has been a while. What depends on the shot is when you push the trigger
_DSC2603 - Copy (531x800).jpg

WayneF

People do photograph water drop splashes with just the camera, but the timing requires much persistence and trial and error, and luck. The easiest way is hanging a bag of water with the smallest pin prick in it, to steadily drip every few seconds. Or it could be a small aquarium valve, almost closed to only slightly drip every few seconds.

But... if you use a simple timer, which is triggered by the falling drop, it can trigger the flash at any adjustable time following the trigger, which will give you 100% repeatable results every time, easy as pie, adjustable to occur at any phase of the splash, from the crown, to the rebound, to the separated drop at top of rebound column. Here is an extremely inexpensive timer kit which will work great (which you have to wire yourself, but which is very easy, school kids can do it - or they also offer a wired version):
Speed of flash units for high speed photography

Or (much less trivial to buy), then to photograph collisions of the first drop rebounding, and the second drop falling, then you need a timed water valve and more elaborate timer, to control when the two drops are released (which again, becomes 100% repeatable, every time). Shako Solenoid Valve for Water Drop Collision Photography

Last edited:

wornish

If you use milk instead of water you get interesting effects due to the different surface tension, also the depth of the water container makes a difference, and also the temperature.

Once you get hooked its great fun.

milk.jpg

green light.jpg