Continuous Lighting

ohkphoto

Snow White
Has anyone out there purchased this product (800w continuous red head halogen light)
from LinkDelight? It looks like a pretty good price and I'm wanting to experiment with some continuous lighting in my portraits. What I don't want is to burn my (or somebody else's house) down because the bulb or housing get hot enough to ignite.

Browncoat

You run that risk anytime you use halogen lighting, it can get very hot. Some bulbs get so hot, you have to make sure that you don't even touch them with your bare fingers. The oil from your skin can cause them to ignite, explode, and send shards of glass flying everywhere. And no, I'm not joking.

I feel your pain, Helene. I've been tempted by LinkDelight's prices myself. But honestly, in my opinion, it's just not worth it. I'd love to get some studio lighting on the cheap as well, but I think this is one area where it might be best to stick with the quality stuff.

ohkphoto

Snow White
Anthony, thanks. I was kind of afraid that was the case. Appreciate your info.
Now I'm no longer tempted!

Best Regards

Browncoat

Any surface contamination, notably fingerprints, can damage the quartz envelope when it is heated. Contaminants will create a hot spot on the bulb surface when the bulb is turned on. This extreme, localized heat causes the quartz to change from its vitreous form into a weaker, crystalline form that leaks gas. This weakening may also cause the bulb to rapidly form a bubble, thereby weakening the bulb and leading to its failure or explosion, and creating a serious safety hazard.
I just wanted you (and anyone else reading) to know that I was serious. Halogen lamps can be dangerous. There are even some laws that say halogen lights must be protected by a metal grate if used indoors.

Here's a solution that might be better, Helene. Home improvement stores such as Lowes/Home Depot carry halogen lighting + stands that can be purchased for under $40. There's even a handy tutorial over at DIY Photography for how to convert these very lights into much safer (and energy efficient) CFL bulbs.

If that's too complicated, you'd be surprised how much lighting cheap clamp lights + 100w CFL bulbs can provide. Just make sure you buy the ones that can handle that much juice.

Ruidoso Bill

Helene, I have used the home improvement types a couple of times, they put out a lot of heat but have a cover. You can purchase lower wattage halogen bulbs, I think I put some 35 w in mine, still great light but a lot less heat. You can get some at Ace.

ohkphoto

Snow White
There's even a handy tutorial over at DIY Photography for how to convert these very lights into much safer (and energy efficient) CFL bulbs.

Sounds like an interesting project for a rainy or snowy day. Thanks for the info and the link, Anthony.

Bill, thanks also for the info. I think I'll stick to strobes for right now. Fewer wires, less fire danger and certainly less to drag around LOL!

Best Regards