Need flash help

Noob4Life

So im waiting on my Nikon SB-700 and was wondering what else I needed to control the flash wirelessly with my d3200? Thanks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 4

WayneF

So im waiting on my Nikon SB-700 and was wondering what else I needed to control the flash wirelessly with my d3200? Thanks

Without buying anything else, you could use the SB-700 SU-4 mode, and set an appropriate manual power level in it. Then you could use the D3200 internal flash, set to Manual mode and probably its lowest manual power level to trigger it wirelessly. SU-4 is a rather nice optical slave. Ideally, the sensor on the side of the flash (by battery door) should be aimed at camera trigger flash.

Or you could buy a set of radio triggers, also manual flash mode.

Or you could buy a Nikon commander (a SU-800, or another SB-700 but SU-800 is better and less expensive) to use the commander (on hot shoe) to trigger it wirelessly. This choice could use TTL instead of manual flash mode.

Last edited:

carguy

Noob4Life

Thanks guys ill mess around with the manual settings and possible pick up a nikon commander so I can use ttl. I do alot of car phitography and want to be able to move the flash around and hopefully start using gels for some creative shots

eidian

The D3200's built-in flash doesn't have commander capability. Skip the Nikon commander and get an SB-800 like Waynef suggested...why spend money on a commander when you can get that function built into a flash? I have three SB-800's and they were worth every penny that I spent on them. I had all three flashes synced in twenty minutes and I don't know what I'm doing--it's that easy to do.

WayneF

I have a pair of SB-800, and they are great, but actually, I mentioned the SU-800 commander. A hot shoe seems not the best place for a flash, and the SU-800 is a little less expensive, and a more versatile commander. In particular, since cameras without the Commander also do not have FV Lock, the SU-800 has the red filter to minimize blinking in the human subjects.

Noob4Life

Dang that sucks lol looks like ill just be using the flash on camera for now. Wasnt expecting to have to spend another 300 on a piece. Would a pc cord work for now just the same or am I burnt until I buy the commander? I dont feel I need a whole nother flash because this is just a hobby/vacation thing.

WayneF

Read the first response again. You don't need to buy anything. You can use the SU-4 mode of the flash, which is a FINE optical trigger. It is triggered by the flash of any other Manual mode flash, which could be the camera internal flash set to low power (probably its lowest power level works).

You could use a PC sync cord, but that would need to add a PC connector adapter on both SB-700 and D3200.

All of these methods are Manual flash mode, where it is YOU that sets the flash power level correctly. Only a commander can provide TTL flash mode remotely.

Last edited:

Noob4Life

Oh okay sorry eidians post confused me, thought that meant I couldnt use su-4. Thanks again!

WayneF

The SB-700 has several options and possibilities.

It has a menu where you can select Manual, TTL, or GN modes. Manual flash, you determine and set the flash power level, however you want to control it. TTL mode has to be on hot shoe, but then the camera automation meters it (controlled with Flash Compensation). GN mode, you enter the subject distance into the flash, and it knows the right power level (which has advantage that it is not affected by how well the subject reflects light, but disadvantage that it is direct flash only).

Or it has Remote Mode, where it is controlled wirelessly by a Commander at the camera. This is remote flash which can include multiple TTL flash. SB-700 can also be a Commander to control other Remotes, but it must be attached to the camera to do it.

It has the SU-4 mode, also remote flash, which is triggered by the flash of any other manual flash (more reliably and at greater distance than the Commander can do it). But it is Manual flash mode.

It does not have a PC sync connector, but an inexpensive adapter on flash foot can provide one. Manual flash again.

Or one could add radio triggers, which are popular, and also manual flash. But SU-4 mode works really well indoors.

eidian

Sorry for the confusion, my comment was addressing the flash in reference to CLS. Waynef's post explained everything perfectly.

But I still say get a used 800.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4