To the folks that went from D5100 to D7100

Moab Man

I have both and continue to use both.

D5100
I love the rotating screen of the D5100. Not often I need it, but sometimes I wish the D7100 had it.

D7100
1. What I love most is the straight forward through a button, rather than a menu, access to make changes on the fly.

2. I can push things just a little bit further. For example, when I have my external flash mounted I can push it +3. My D5100 limits me at +1.

3. Fits male hands a little bit better.

4. A little bit better low light capability.

5. Can use any lens and not limited to AF-s lenses.

I think it was worth the upgrade, but the beggest reason is #1 given above. However, I still love my D5100 and use it.

nickt

What are you looking for in your upgrade? Do you like the menu driven interface you have now? If so, d5200 may be a better fit. If you want to get deeper into photography, the d7100 has more direct access to camera controls via buttons. It has a front command wheel and buttons for quick changing of settings like iso, focus modes, metering modes, exposure compensation, white balance, bracketing, picture quality and flash modes without getting into menus. It also has an internal focus motor so you can use many older lenses. If this interests you, go for the d7100, you will love it. But it will take some practice to get used to this new setup.

If these things DO NOT interest you, then a d5200 will give you more focus points and a better sensor, better low light performance, etc, but with an interface the very much same as what you have. D5100 to d7100 is a great upgrade if that's what you want. Mainly it is an upgrade of your shooting experience. Don't do it just for the hope of better pictures.

Marilynne

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
After having the D5100 for 11 months, I found all the functions (I think there's 90 options) on the D7100 confusing at first, but I'm getting the hang of it. I still have to refer to the manual a lot.

Horoscope Fish

About the only thing I miss on my current '7100 is the articulated screen the '5100 had. Other than that, I'd say the '7100 has it all over the '5100. 51 focus points (vs. 11 on the '5100), the preview screen is brighter, the viewfinder is larger, the '7100 has more color depth, two card slots, weather sealing, the built in focus motor... I could go on but I'm running out of breath.

carguy

What are you looking for in your upgrade? Do you like the menu driven interface you have now? If so, d5200 may be a better fit. If you want to get deeper into photography, the d7100 has more direct access to camera controls via buttons. It has a front command wheel and buttons for quick changing of settings like iso, focus modes, metering modes, exposure compensation, white balance, bracketing, picture quality and flash modes without getting into menus. It also has an internal focus motor so you can use many older lenses. If this interests you, go for the d7100, you will love it. But it will take some practice to get used to this new setup.

If these things DO NOT interest you, then a d5200 will give you more focus points and a better sensor, better low light performance, etc, but with an interface the very much same as what you have. D5100 to d7100 is a great upgrade if that's what you want. Mainly it is an upgrade of your shooting experience. Don't do it just for the hope of better pictures.
This is sound advice. The D5200 and D7200 share processors and other internal functions.

RockyNH_RIP

I also have both... once I got used to the buttons on the 7100, I find it must faster as far as setup/changing setting vs the menu. I do like the articulating screen of the 5100. The 7100 has a few more features, is overall faster and it has the capability of producing a better image. Note, I have zero complaints on wht my 5100 does!!

Why do I have/use both?? 5100 is very competant, lighter and smaller. I often leave it with the 55-300 so if an option to shoot a plane or critter occurs out back, I just grab it rather than trying to change lens. I also like having a backup just in case!!

I think Nick raised some good questions and pointed out some options so you have to decide what/why you need/want an upgrade. I love my 7100.

Pat in NH

Kevin H

I'd prefer the buttons for functions vs the menu I'll still keep my 5100 great camera for a back up and I do a lot of birding so low light would be great

Thanks for all the feed back I'll take my time and save up might be a nice X-mas present to myself

Fred Kingston

I went from a D5000 to a D7000 and took a loss on the D7000 to goto the D600... Before you get buried in lenses that won't goto full frame... make sure the D7100 is gonna be where you wanna stay...

Whiskeyman

It depends on what you want. I know a very active sports photographer who sold her D600 and then purchased a D7100. She likes her D7100 more than the D600 for a myriad of reasons, among them being she's using the "sweet spot" of most of her lenses, and she is able to utilize the crop factor of the DX sensor to her advantage.

Neither of these factors would apply to changing from the D5100 to the D7100, though.

​WM

Patrick M

I also switched from the D5100 to the D7100. Apart from the swivel LCD, I've found so much more can be achieved with the D7100. Pictures seem brighter, and sharper - though I daresay that's down to the user rather than the equipment! As mentioned, I found the control better. I love the two user defined settings. I like the preview. I like the fast autofocus. I like the predictive focus. I like the color control....but it's probably the same. I certainly have no regrets and I'm certainly taking a lot more photos now too.

Hello,
I can not say much more then what has already been so well stated but I will tell you my experience upgrading from the D5100 to D7100. I had my D5100 for just under 2 years and recently upgraded to the D7100. I am so happy I did... for all the reasons listed above. Let me put it this way, I now shoot in M most of the time since it is so much quicker and easier to make changes by turning the dials and direct access buttons. The auto focus has helped quite a bit. The additional pixels does make cropping easier. Since I am still working on composition this has been a plus for sure. Both are great cameras but I am quite happy I upgraded.
Sincerely,
Joseph

cadomniel

I don't even have my D5100 yet but I'm already planning on the upgrade to the D7100 within a year.
The reason I didn't get the D7100 right away is I think the D5100 is a bit easier to learn on and with the extra cash I could add a few extra lenses and upgraded flash.