Special program for bigger size printing?

wud

Trying to get my message through again :)

I got a client who wants a 51x76 cm print, and I am wondering how this is done best. The print place ask for minimum resolution 4500x3000 pixels.

The image is now 4171x2601 (35x22 cm).

My question is, can I do this resize in Photoshop or will this make the quality bad?
Should I use a special program, for resizing to big prints?
Would it be best resizing to the same size as the print, or only minimum resolution - or something in between?

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
You could resize it with photoshop. Just one warning though. I've read somewhere that it should be done not more than a 10% increase at a time. So in this case you should be fine since a 10% increase would bring your file to the right size.

wud

You could resize it with photoshop. Just one warning though. I've read somewhere that it should be done not more than a 10% increase at a time. So in this case you should be fine since a 10% increase would bring your file to the right size.

Okay, interesting. Will google that, thanks.

BackdoorArts

I've not used it, but I've heard several recommendations for software from onOne for enlarging images (Perfect Resize Pro). I've used Photoshop to resize to 200%. My brother sent me a recipe he uses to enlarge and resharpen. It's buried in the email folders on my other computer, but if I remember I'll look for it next time I'm on there.

wud

I've not used it, but I've heard several recommendations for software from onOne for enlarging images (Perfect Resize Pro). I've used Photoshop to resize to 200%. My brother sent me a recipe he uses to enlarge and resharpen. It's buried in the email folders on my other computer, but if I remember I'll look for it next time I'm on there.

I found this action for PS and just tested it, from what I can see, it does a good job. There are several different actions, both for up- and downsizing: Digital Darkroom @ The Light's Right Studio

Fred Kingston

Trying to get my message through again :)

I got a client who wants a 51x76 cm print, and I am wondering how this is done best. The print place ask for minimum resolution 4500x3000 pixels.

The image is now 4171x2601 (35x22 cm).

My question is, can I do this resize in Photoshop or will this make the quality bad?
Should I use a special program, for resizing to big prints?
Would it be best resizing to the same size as the print, or only minimum resolution - or something in between?

Both size criteria can easily be met using Lightroom... The export function allows you to define output by either lengthXwidth dimensions using any one of several choices... CM or pixels... as well as density...

wud

Both size criteria can easily be met using Lightroom... The export function allows you to define output by either lengthXwidth dimensions using any one of several choices... CM or pixels... as well as density...

Yes, I have seen that, but I always use PS as last step. And it can easily be done in PS as well, but as Marcel and the link says, seems like you wanna do it over several steps, for best quality.

Fred Kingston

The article referenced was written in 2003 and the Photoshop version 7 he's selling his presets for was released in 2002....

Camera resolution and software has change a LOT since that article was written...

wud

The article referenced was written in 2003 and the Photoshop version 7 he's selling his presets for was released in 2002....

Camera resolution and software has change a LOT since that article was written...

True. But I tested it in PS, normal resize vs this stepping up/down, and I actually think it improves the image. I have noticed before, when sizing an image much smaller, it sometimes makes this which I didnt know was called moire.

Fred Kingston

Okay.... so we're talking about 2 different processes here...

1. process #1 sharpens the image to remove artifacts...
2. Process #2 outputs the finished, cleaned image to specific sizes

wud

Okay.... so we're talking about 2 different processes here...

1. process #1 sharpens the image to remove artifacts...
2. Process #2 outputs the finished, cleaned image to specific sizes

Im not really sure what you mean?

Maybe you're right, maybe it doesnt matter if its done with this 10% step or just 20cm to 50cm. I tried looking at some 100% crop, and on that image I couldn't see much difference.