"Square" for Credit Cards

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
A friend of mine uses it and says it's very nice. I just don't want to get involved with credit cards since I'm moving towards retirement and not so much interested in a growing business. It grew enough to affect my health so now it's downsize all the way. :)

Horoscope Fish

An ex-girlfriend of mine used Square for her business (not photography-related) and she loved it.

Said it was the greatest thing since sliced bread and she was not prone to exaggeration.

nickt

I have the PayPal verison. They offered it and I got it to play with. I figured maybe I'd use it for a garage sale stuff. I did use it to empty some amex gift cards my daughter was collecting, cards with $1-2 left on them. I have read of complaints that you are not well protected from chargebacks. I don't have a business so I don't know if there is more risk or the same as if you had real 'store'. Google 'square credit card reader chargebacks' or 'mobile card reader chargebacks' for some stories. People use them, I've seen landscape guys using them and arts and craft show people. I would want to learn how to protect myself and document that a product or service was given and accepted by the customer.

PapaST

From what I've seen it definitely fits a need. I think the rate is higher than most but you're paying for convenience. Most likely there is no LIVE person support. The chargeback thing that nickt mentioned would be my biggest concern.

480sparky

I use it as well. Not often, but it's nice to that the option of accepting payment any time, any where.

The biggest downside is there's a default maximum you can accept and have the money in your bank account in a reasonable time. Above that (I recall it's $2000), you must wait a period of time for it to transfer. But you can also contact Square Up and raise it.

Browncoat

I use it.

The transaction fee is reasonable (around 2.75%), which is good considering that I didn't have to sign up for an ongoing service contract or purchase equipment like you do if you get swipe service through the bank. It's actually a very nice deal.

I like that I can create my own services listings and prices, then just check them off to add to the invoice automatically. I attach the reader to my tablet in the studio, which also has a bluetooth keyboard. Makes the whole process look very official when I flip the tablet over for them to sign digitally. I've used it on my phone as well.

Great service, highly recommended.

Rick M

Thanks everyone! I'll set up a business account at my credit union to protect my personal account from charge backs.

Browncoat

RE: chargebacks

The best protection (for you and your customers) is to always process transactions as credit, and not debit. Even if they are using a debit card, the card is still backed by Visa/MC/AMEX/etc. and can be processed as credit. Credit transactions offer FAR more protections than debit, chargebacks and fraud protection included. There's no additional fee to process as credit, so there's really no reason not to do it.

carguy

The Square and Paypal versions are very nice. A great alternative for those not interested in the expense of a traditional merchant account etc.