Product Photography Attempt 2 - Fox's Candy

WhiteLight

My second attempt at Product Photography.
Let me know your thoughts

Fox's Candy

Untitled_Panorama1-2_WLP.jpg

D700 with 105mm 2.8G
ISO 100, 0.4 sec at f/36
2 side lights & one SB 700 triggered remotely (on top)
3 image Focus Stacked

Dave_W

The Dude
I find it too distracting with the flowers and the label leaving you guessing exactly what the center of attention should be. I believe if you cropped out the superfluous items left only the bowl of candy and the product it would be a much stronger image.
I'm also a little befuddled over the lighting. Maybe it's just me but it looks almost too well lit to the point it almost looks fake. Do you know what I mean? That much lighting seems to remove any sense of depth or natural dimensions.

Browncoat

Second one is definitely the better shot. However, the product placement is better in the first shot, with the plate more in front of the can. Also, cellophane wrappers are difficult to photograph. They have an unnatural sheen, which makes them look fake. If you really want to make the most out of this product shot, here are a few extra steps to take:

1) Take the wrappers off.

2) Place the candies in a manner similar to how they are on the packaging. See how there is a bunch of yellow, with other single colors scattered about?

3) Just before you're ready to take the final shot, mist the candies with some water spray, which will give them a natural looking shine. In fact, take before and after mist shots just so you can see what a huge difference it makes.

Dave_W

The Dude
I like it better, too, but I think the lack of natural shadows gives the work a bit of an unreal feel. It's kind of like English 101 where you have to have subject verb agreement in order to have a complete sentence. Only in this case you have to have equal and consistent shadows for your subjects otherwise the work will not seem realistic. I'd say if you get the can to cast a shadow in a direction consistent with the bowl, the work would lose that unnatural feel. You can make very realistic shadow using PS, there's lots of techniques for it and lots of blogs and Utube tutorials on the subject. I used to do it with coins to make it as though they were standing on a dark mirror, gives it a real special and rarefied look.

#2 is better but I do agree with Dave about the shadows and also unwrapping the candy. Unwrapping it would make the colors pop more and make you want to grab one and eat it.

Michael J.

I like it - but a shadow is now appeared under the red cover and makes the can leaning on the right side a bit.

At the first photo the can is straight.

mikew_RIP

How is this for showing my lack of knowledge on product photography,the first one made me interested in Foxes Fruits but you have moved further away from that in each retake,i know ime wrong but its an opinion from a potential purchaser.
I think if i was following the advice to reduce the items in the picture i would try the sweets wrapped but not on a plate.

There you are you have the opinion of those that know what there talking about and mine :D

WhiteLight

I like it - but a shadow is now appeared under the red cover and makes the can leaning on the right side a bit.

At the first photo the can is straight.

Hmm... that could be the way i placed the lights..
(The lights are quite horrible TBH)
Placed one light in front on the right of the subject, focus on the subject.

The second was on the left, in line to the subject, but partially focusing on the background.

The SB700 was on some empty boxes on top of the whole scene.

How is this for showing my lack of knowledge on product photography,the first one made me interested in Foxes Fruits but you have moved further away from that in each retake,i know ime wrong but its an opinion from a potential purchaser.
I think if i was following the advice to reduce the items in the picture i would try the sweets wrapped but not on a plate.

There you are you have the opinion of those that know what there talking about and mine :D

Haha.. that's the best way to learn how to do it right for sure :)
i think my issue is the lighting & the background..

Am done with this for the moment.
I ended up eating half the candies, that's why there are so few on the plate :p
i dropped & smashed one plate :)