Macro Flashes

Scott Murray

I am considering a dedicated macro flash and cannot work out which would be better, ring flashes or the speedlight version flashes like the Nion R1. Does anyone have any experience with dedicated macro flashes?

FastGlass

I've tried to use my SB-800 to do macro and didn't have any luck. Creats to many shadows because the lense is so close to the subject it puts the flash to one side.
If I did allot of macro work and needed a flash I would choose a ring type. You then have light all around the lense eliminating shadows.

WayneF

I've tried to use my SB-800 to do macro and didn't have any luck. Creats to many shadows because the lense is so close to the subject it puts the flash to one side.
If I did allot of macro work and needed a flash I would choose a ring type. You then have light all around the lense eliminating shadows.

The problem with ring lights is that they are extremely flat light. No shadow gradients to show shapes on the subject. It can be good for some work, scientific or medical work, like seeking clinical accuracy, esp of flat work, but it is rarely pleasing photographically.

Instead,

Cover the SB-800 flash head with a small WHITE paper bag, or maybe a cloth bag from a bedsheet, etc, leaving a few inches of empty bag above the actual head... so that the flash lights it up inside, and it then lights the subject. It need not aim AT the subject, better the flat side bag aims at it. Bag should just be within a foot or so, so it spills on the subject. You are very close, so power will not be any problem.

Or aim the SB-800 flash head sideways, toward a sheet of white paper or white ardboard (letter size or larger, and near, maybe one foot from flash), which is aimed to reflect light back onto the subject at about a 45 degree angle.

Lots of things are possible, just avoid undiffused direct flash from camera lens angle. Direct flash off-camera is better, but diffused off camera is best. You do want some shadow gradients on the subject, so it won't be so flat and dull.

For indoor work, flash could be in an umbrella, it will be great. Either on a SC-28 cord, or remote with Commander, etc.

mikew_RIP

I have this one Sigma Imaging UK | EM-140 DG Macro Flash its about 10 years old,sigma say it should work with the latest Nikon cameras but up to now i have not had the courage to try it,so it stays on the D70 :D.
They say it will not hurt new cameras and should work,if not they will reprogram it FOC,if buying again i would replace it with the new model.

mike

WayneF

I have this one Sigma Imaging UK | EM-140 DG Macro Flash its about 10 years old,sigma say it should work with the latest Nikon cameras but up to now i have not had the courage to try it,so it stays on the D70 :D.

The flash specs (which you linked) says it does iTTL with Nikon, so it should work on any CLS Nikon DSLR, beginning with the D70 on forward to the todays latest camera models. Your D5100, D7000, and D70 will all work identically with it (all are CLS iTTL). The D70 was simply the first iTTL model.

mikew_RIP

The flash specs (which you linked) says it does iTTL with Nikon, so it should work on any CLS Nikon DSLR, beginning with the D70 on forward to the todays latest camera models. Your D5100, D7000, and D70 will all work identically with it (all are CLS iTTL). The D70 was simply the first iTTL model.

Thanks Wayne been wanting to get it on the D7000.

mike

Geoffc

Yes I have the R1 setup with four R-200 heads, although that's only because I got them used for the right money. I built a full kit from various sources even down to the nice bag. I didn't bother with the SU-800 and just use the built in flash. I can walk around the garden like this and it works fine. You can adjust the power of each flash individually to create some depth.

I don't use it a huge amount but it's a great bit of kit, albeit quite pricey if you buy new.

The bees on this page used it

http://www.flickr.com/photos/teerecks/sets/72157631731481477/

Last edited:

Scott Murray

Yes I have the R1 setup with four R-200 heads, although that's only because I got them used for the right money. I built a full kit from various sources even down to the nice bag. I didn't bother with the SU-800 and just use the built in flash. I can walk around the garden like this and it works fine. You can adjust the power of each flash individually to create some depth.

I don't use it a huge amount but it's a great bit of kit, albeit quite pricey if you buy new.

I am seriously looking at getting it and if I can find it 2nd hand then great but if not then I dont mind forking out some cash for it.

WhiteLight

The Nikon R1 and R1C1 is the best macro flash setup out there.
I had been thinking about getting them too but held back due to it's cost mainly & secondly i am not sure if i would use it a lot beyond the 'lust period' :)

How serious are you about macro photography?
If you are really looking to take it forward, there is no other like this kit.
But be aware you can really use flash only for macro.
It really wouldn't help even for a close up portrait.
But the light from these for macro, are not going to be like other ring lights - flat.
These are mainly engineered for macro & close ups and will perform awesomely.
A friend of mine had it & it is extremely convenient, not to mention how well it performs..

Just to add, the R1 will work just fine with all your cameras.
So if you don't have any intentions of having more flashes in the future, no point in getting the R1C1 with the commander unit.

Also, on the flip side, you can achieve very similar effects with a regular flash on a flash arm/bracket so it's positioned a little off the regular position.
Along with a good diffuser like Lumiquest, you can get great results..
Plus it would double as a secondary flash too.
I use the SB700 in a similar fashion

Last edited:

mikew_RIP

Just tried it on the D7000,works a treat on TTL-BL

Thanks

Scott Murray

The Nikon R1 and R1C1 is the best macro flash setup out there.
I had been thinking about getting them too but held back due to it's cost mainly & secondly i am not sure if i would use it a lot beyond the 'lust period' :)

How serious are you about macro photography?
If you are really looking to take it forward, there is no other like this kit.
But be aware you can really use flash only for macro.
It really wouldn't help even for a close up portrait.
But the light from these for macro, are not going to be like other ring lights - flat.
These are mainly engineered for macro & close ups and will perform awesomely.
A friend of mine had it & it is extremely convenient, not to mention how well it performs..

Just to add, the R1 will work just fine with all your cameras.
So if you don't have any intentions of having more flashes in the future, no point in getting the R1C1 with the commander unit.

Also, on the flip side, you can achieve very similar effects with a regular flash on a flash arm/bracket so it's positioned a little off the regular position.
Along with a good diffuser like Lumiquest, you can get great results..
Plus it would double as a secondary flash too.
I use the SB700 in a similar fashion

Thanks for your reply, it is some food for thought, I already have a SB700 that the hotshoe doesn't wokr on but I am sure it works via IR. I may look into an arm or sorts for now and see how it goes, I have seen the diffusers and photos taken with this set up and they look great.

bechdan

Alternatively if you already have a flash, you can use a standard speedlight and get a flash diffuser such as the Kaavie Universal Cloth Bounce Diffuser for Canon Nikon: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics
its got a reflector on the top side and its elasticated cuff slides over the speedlight head easily, this bounces a softer light down on to the subject

If you want to get more creative with the speedlight you can use it off camera with a ttl cable or wireless depending on your gear

nzswift

I have the R1C1 kit and couldn't be happier. Love the way you can control the flash output and position of each unit easily (don't know if the power control is available with the R1 kit).... It looks kind of flimsy but is more robust than it seems. Go ahead and get one, I'm sure you won't be disappointed!

Scott Murray

I have the R1C1 kit and couldn't be happier. Love the way you can control the flash output and position of each unit easily (don't know if the power control is available with the R1 kit).... It looks kind of flimsy but is more robust than it seems. Go ahead and get one, I'm sure you won't be disappointed!

Do you have any images taken with them?