Nikon D5200 - Ai-S Adapter?

twinrova

Hi,

I am just starting out in photography and after working with several cameras have decided to buy my first DSLR, I have researched a few cameras and feel fairly settled on the Nikon D5200 however I have two old lenses both with Nikon Ai-S mounts. From what I can understand you can't use these with the D5200 models but was wondering if there were any adapters that would work?

After speaking to people at the camera shop they are suggesting I may be able to use the D7100 model with these lenses I would prefer not to spend the extra money but would consider purchasing this model if I can confirm it's ability to fluidly work with older lenses and there are no adapter alternatives available for the D5200.

These are the lenses;

Nikon fit Sigma 28mm f2.8 lens Ai-s manual focus Mini WIde AIS 018208014194 | eBay

Aston DX Auto Zoom 80 200 Macro Camera Lens Canon A1 AE1 Mount Polarizer Filter | eBay

Would be great to here some advice and if anyone could confirm a way to use older lenses with the 5200 or 7100.

Thanks

WayneF

See D5100 manual page 201 (Compatible Non-CPU lenses). You can use them (AI modified lenses), but the camera cannot meter with them. The camera must be in Manual mode M, and also manual focus mode.

twinrova

Hey Wayne,

Thank you for the quick reply, I have just looked at both user manuals online for the 5200 and 5100 and both only state compatibility with a AI-P lense and have no mention of AI-S. Not sure if I am looking in the wrong place as both user manuals only have roughly a 100 pages do I need to look at the printed versions?

Thanks

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
If you'd spend just a tad more on the camera… the D7000 will meter the Ai and Ai-S lenses.

twinrova

Thanks for the advice Wayne, it seems like it is a possibility but I guess i'll have to drive to a camera store to confirm!

Thanks Marcel! Had a look at the D7000 and was just wondering if it would compete with the D5200 in terms of image and video quality with it being a slightly older model?

mikew_RIP