D7100: Snapping a still photo while recording a video/movie

SageGator

We just upgraded from the D80 to the D7100. Our video camera (Canon HFS20) was stolen, so we liked the video capabilities of the D7100 (actually MUCH better than most high-def cam corders, especially when combined with a nice lens).

When we had separate video and still cameras, my wife and I could record events like birthdays, etc with both pictures and video. But now we have just the D7100.

Is it possible to capture still photos/images (jpg) while recording video?

Our Canon video camera had this capability, which was very nice. There was a separate button that allowed you to take a picture while it was recording the video.

So does the Nikon have this feature? If not, then I suppose I'll have to try to figure out a way to do this with software after pulling the video down to my PC/Mac. So any pointers on how to do this would be great as well!!

Thanks in advance for any assistance!!

SageGator

So is that how you welcome all of your new members? :rolleyes:

I am glad I just joined this forum so that I could get such helpful responses. Do you think I would go through the trouble of registering for a forum that I would normally not join (as I am very hesitant to register on public forums and share my email address) if I could have found this within the product documentation?

We absolutely searched the manual for this feature and could not find anything. Our video camera was stolen, so we are trying to quickly learn the capabilities of the D7100.

Any REAL assistance would be greatly appreciated.

nickt

I don't think you can do it during the video. If you click the shutter, it will take a picture, but recording will stop. You can save a frame during playback in camera. p176

SageGator

I don't think you can do it during the video. If you click the shutter, it will take a picture, but recording will stop. You can save a frame during playback in camera. p176

AH! It's under movie playback/edit. Thank you so much!!! I didn't see that page.

​This is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks again!