Ireland?

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
Way off topic here but I'm looking into a two-week driving honeymoon in Ireland towards the end of May. Off course I'll be looking for photo opportunities (we've traveled a lot together already and she puts up with this crazy hobby of mine) but I was wondering if anyone had any input. I'm a voracious reader and contributor on TripAdvisor but think folks here will have a unique perspective.

Right now the best deals seem to be Aer Lingus fly/drive packages. Laurie's brother, sister-in-law and god-daughter did a similar trip last summer. This approach worked out well for them. They offer first night in Dublin and then B&B vouchers for the rest of the trip. She is interested in the package that includes a stay at either Ashford Castle, Adare Manor or Waterford Castle.

Again, I know it is waaaay off topic but if anyone has used an Aer Lingus package or has suggestions, I'd sincerely appreciate hearing how your experience was and any recommendations!!

Richard500

Just take a rain coat! Last time I went it poured down and some of the attractions closed because ... it was a public Holiday!! I only wanted a bottle of good old Tullamore Dew. Spend Dollars if you can as the Euro is UP and
DOWN ... Oh and don't got to Malahide.... Only joking.

Good luck with your trip (and watch the pavements for dog crap) :)

mooseman166

So...scenery...go west...always west...Clare...Galway...Mayo...Donegal and Kerry...(The ring of kerry is horribly crowded...so dont bother..go the the Beare Peninsula in West Cork(right next to the ring of kerry) and really beautiful and quite empty ...) Public transport is almost nonexistent on such a route so you must drive...distances are small but they take much longer to do than you think...no-one riushes or keeps timetables in the west...like slightly wetter Jamaicans....

I suppose it all depends on what you want to get out of the holiday.....is it scenery or do you want to do the culture thing? Will you want to go to the north(The bit that belongs to the UK)?

Richard500

I have no wish to be contentious here, but what's wrong with going to the North? It is after all still the island of Ireland is it not regardless of its governance. There are many many Irish attractions in the six counties that should not be missed on any visit to Ireland. But it is a long drive from Dublin and personally I would not go in August.

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
We are looking at the last two weeks of May. Actually, have two alternatives somewhat priced. If we go to Ireland we would use the B&B vouchers for the majority of the trip (with a couple nights in Dublin and a couple at Ashford Castle). Itinerary to be determined. Neither of us have been to Ireland.

The other option is to revisit some of my favorites that Laurie hasn't been. Our favorite vacations are to each take one bag (plus my camera bag) and hop the trains in Europe. For example, a little over a year ago we did a Venice - Florence - Lake Como - Milan trip that was fantastic! We've looked at a Prague (day trip to Karlovy Vary) - Vienna (day trip to Bratislava) - Salzburg - Munich (day trip to Neuschwanstein) itinerary as well. We've even talked about Greece!

So Richard, Northern Ireland is certainly in consideration. Especially since Laurie isn't a fan of heights and I told her that I wanted to go to Carrick-a-Rede!! LOL

mooseman166

Richard,

I have no issue with the North. I think it is a lovely place to visit.
I merely asked if Eduard was thinking of going there.

Eamon

Richard500

I was being tongue in cheek Eamon a bit cheeky.... I only avoided the North due to the distance and the marching season and being English with an Irish car I decided it would best left 'till the spring! Here is a photo of my Irish great grandma taken, I think, in Athlone in the early 1900's - My granddad was in the Royal Berkshire Regiment at the time and is wearing a medal from Egypt. Don't they just look so happy!!!!! ;)
GreatGrdDadAndFam2a.jpg

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
Here is a photo of my Irish great grandma taken, I think, in Athlone in the early 1900's - My granddad was in the Royal Berkshire Regiment at the time and is wearing a medal from Egypt. Don't they just look so happy!!!!! ;)
GreatGrdDadAndFam2a.jpg

The young lad leaning against the wall looks like he has the world by the. . . tail. :rolleyes:

mooseman166

The young chap leaning against the wall does look rather less Sternly Victorian than the others...maybe he is looking forward to having a giant moustache like his father and having the smell of beeswax forever in his nostrils? I have no idea what it must have been like in Egypt at the time...but it must have been one hell of a shock to come back to Westmeath from Alex though.....
I went to the RTC in Athlone many years ago...I have a LOT of relatives in Offaly...so I used to know it...not any more though....
I think the massive development has spoiled it a bit (like the rest of the country really)

Richard500

They look so serious though, must be them holding their breath! The sergeant is actually James Bond... he went on to have 5 more children including another James!! The boy is my Great Uncle Edward Bond. They all went to Canada after Ireland and that was where my grandfather William was born in 1897. I have yet to work through the Irish side of my grandmothers side, the Tighes.Onward....

naja

I think you will find that Air Lingus is actually now owned by RYanAir.

Ireland is just so full of great places to photograph all I would suggest is to take plenty of cards so you don't run out.

Have a great time, and watch the Guinness!!!

Richard500

Michael O'Leary ... ah bless the saintly man! .... or not! On a more serious note I HAVE to get back to Ireland soon to visit somewhere other than Dublin and Malahide. I wished I had been more able to take photos that last time I was there.