Need some recommendations for lighting tutorials

BackdoorArts

I am not ashamed to admit it - I'm an absolute flash photography dunce. I know nothing because I've really not studied it in any way shape or form. If you see a photo of mine taken with flash it was all a matter of pop it up or put it on, cross your fingers, start to pray and try something else until it comes out right.

That's all about to change.

I've been wanting to learn how to do this correctly and I'm being presented with an opportunity to learn. A good friend has a graphic arts company and is looking to update his website with product shots of some of the things he's produced for various conferences over the last couple years. He called a guy he uses for portrait work to see if he could do it and the guy said, "Sure, if you can wait until January - I'm absolutely booked through Christmas." He's always liked my photography, so he asked if I'd be able to do something for him. "I'm not looking for a favor - I'll definitely pay you for your work."

I explained to him my utter lack of experience doing this, but told him that it was something I wanted to be able to do, so if he could have a little patience and allow me to use it as a learning experience I would be willing to do it, with his payment used to offset the cost of the required equipment should he be happy with the shots. He's cool with that arrangement, so I'm now on a mission.

I'm headed to his place today to get a look at what it is he want shots of so I know what it is I'll need to get. What I'm looking for are any recommendations for good, straight forward small studio lighting tutorials. I don't know yet whether the stuff is small enough for a white box or if I'm going to need something bigger, but regardless I'm going to need to know how to light it. So start pointing!! :)

Geoffc

Good luck Jake, I set myself a similar goal about 18 months ago. I'm still learning but I've come a long way. Product photography is next on my list as I fancy doing some stock photos but they have to be very good.

To aid my learning I got a couple of SB900s, pocket wizard triggers and a sekonic 478 meter. We also have some entry level studio flashes. Off camera is essential hence the triggers albeit you can get cheaper alternatives to pocket wizard. Sekonic have lots of tutorials on their site but mainly portrait so the other recommendations are probably better.

I would spend some time learning how light actually works as a lot of it is counter intuitive.

I found "the nikon creative lighting system" by Mike Hagen quite a useful starting point. It may be that you can use cls and ttl initially before getting triggers and meters. This book will tell you how. Knowing your approach to things thus far I suspect you will get immersed in this and it will cost a small fortune :)

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Mark Wallace studio lighting essentials.

Studio Lighting Essentials : Mark Wallace Live

I have it... downloaded... and it's awesome. He knows his stuff for sure. He also has a bunch of video's on Youtube (Adorama TV) about flashes and lighting, and I think he even has one on product photography.

Adorama TV made by Mark Wallace is one of my favorite photography resources especially when it comes to studio lighting set up. The best part is it is "Free".

Congrats and good luck on your assignment Dave.