Just screw up my sensor!

Bukitimah

I am flying in a couple hours to Borobudur. I took my camera out and notice dusts. I tried blowing but they were still there. For the 1st time, I try cotton buds to remove the dusts. It seems to be working but I still see them. So I do more... Alas!! I somehow scratched the sensor!!!

how could that happen?? I didn't even apply any strength. It is too late now. I will send it to Nikon after my trip. Looks like I need a new camera.

Now I remove all the lenses and will only bring a single 17-50 general lens. No mood for the trip.

Lesson learnt here. Please don't do anything when you have no time. Delay it and consider if things to wrong, what can you do.

Regards

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
I doubt that you've scratched it too. You could have smeared it though. Find a good camera shot in your area and just have the sensor cleaned by them. It's not rocket science as long as you use the right tools. Q-tips are not recommended and are even prohibited.

Bukitimah

Hi guys, I set mirror up to clean the sensor. So it is the sensor I am sure. Of course the sensor does have a filter but both are costly to replace.

As to if I did scratched it. I couldn't try now because I am flying off and I need a camera. I will send it to re-confirm and if lucky I don't mind paying below $100 to service it. If I need to replace, then definitely it is time to look for a other camera.

​I am sharing here to give my 2-cent advise. Don't do anything silly when you got no time.

FastGlass

Not saying you're one of these people. But I see a lot of people having their lenses in a bag with no caps on. I've even seen a friend having his body in a bag with no cover on the lense mount. My camera in use always has a lense attached. When I need to switch to another lense, I get the other ready, loosen up the rear cap and remove the lense from the body while it faces the floor and switch as quickly as possible. I never had to clean inside any of my bodies. Thank god! I just shake my head
every time I hear of another D600 with oil spots. I hope you have good luck with you're issue my friend. It's not a place I like to see anyone in.

nickt

Years ago, I ruined a SLR focus screen just trying to lightly brush some dust off with a cotton swab, zero pressure. Cotton will definitely will scratch plastic. It will also scratch the shiny film of a front surface mirror. I am hoping cotton would not scratch the glass? filter in front of the sensor. Maybe the OP just has a smear that the relatively course cotton couldn't fully remove.

I'm having macro mania lately, so I had to take this pic, lol. Maybe it will discourage anyone from using cotton swabs anywhere near their camera:

D7K_7436.jpg

Last edited:

Bukitimah

Hmmmmm why did you say that earlier!! Haha. Damage done and I am just hopeful by the time I get back, I am able to shoot some decent photos and then send it to Nikon service centre. Hopefully they tell me, it is minor and just need to clean it up. Haha

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Hmmmmm why did you say that earlier!! Haha. Damage done and I am just hopeful by the time I get back, I am able to shoot some decent photos and then send it to Nikon service centre. Hopefully they tell me, it is minor and just need to clean it up. Haha

It would be nice if you could show us a picture of how your sensor looks (or a test shot of a white wall) so we could advice you better. It's pretty hard to say without this information missing.

Bukitimah

The first thing I did was to send my camera to Nikon service center. The good thing is, they have shifted and is just across my office building!

i told them my problems and they say it will take approximately 15 mins to get back on the advice. Sure enough, they reverted promptly. No scratches found but some dusts and residues. All I need is to do a sensor cleaning at USD 22!

Sure, why not was my immediate answer. I was told I can collect in about an hour! They called and I went over to collect. You know what, they even updated the latest software! It was fantastic service.

​So, whatever, don't try something when you are in a hurry and for $22, best to leave it to the expert. Cheers guys.

Bukitimah

Hi guys, I was sharing my experience with others in another forum. The guys there introduce me to this sensor cleaning call Copper Hill cleaning kit. Took a look at the video, it seems quite straight forward.

​Although it it is good to leave such things to expert, being the user, it would be handy if we can do it ourself. Don't don't when and under what condition you need such a service.

nickt

I don't have any of the Copper Hill kits, but I have their sensor sweep brush. I have good luck with it. When I have dust, I use my blower first and then the brush. Many times that is all I need. If needed, I finish up with a wet cleaning.

You could live without the brush, but I find it a nice option to have if I am in a hurry. The brush is good for air travel too, I'm not sure if the cleaning fluid would be allowed.

For wet cleaning, I use the Eclipse fluid and I fashion my own swabs with a Pec pad and a stick I made from a fast food plastic knife. DIY Projects - Cleaning Digital Cameras - D-SLR Sensor Cleaning.

I only end up wet cleaning about twice a year.

Bukitimah

This is something I would try to pick up and learn how to handle one day. Meanwhile, I will try to prevent dust from entering and use a blower. Having tried once to clean it myself, I am so scary of doing again without a proven proper kit.

Bukitimah

Just want to share my experience on sensor cleaning. Bought a wet swap (no brand) kit. Took a look at it and it looks reasonable without any hard edges.

I clean my camera 1 year after Nikon service center did it for me. Well, it is just that straight forward. No different with cleaning your lens. Just need extra care.

Guys, I think learning to clean your sensor is something you just need to do if you are shooting at f18 and above. You will get dust sooner or later on that sensor.