D5000 and Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 HSM OS lens

ct_71

I have been asked to take pictures for our high school sports boosters and have been doing this for the past 2 years with my Nikon D5000. The pictures were ok, if I took them in RAW and did post editing. I just bought the sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 lens thinking that this would be the miracle I need right now to improve the photos taken in the gymnasium and on the football field under the lights. I have used it for volleyball and I am struggling to get it to work for me. There is so much I don't understand but I was hoping to increase the shutter speed to be able to freeze the action better and thinking I would be able to do this with the f/2.8. I still have to increase my ISO which leaves me with noise and I am having a hard time getting pictures in focus (even when using a monopod). SO my questions are:
1. Will this lens work with my d5000 and I just need to practice more? I know it is compatible but maybe too much lens for my camera?
2. If this will work, what should my settings be? I have been using: AF-C, Focus Area Dynamic and Matrix metering. I was using the shutter button pushed 1/2 for focusing but read that if I turn AF ON and use AE Lock/AF Lock button to focus it would work better, so I tried that but didn't help me much. Again maybe just practice? Maybe that is where my trouble is?
3. I really can't afford another camera body, but maybe that is what I absolutely need to do?
4. If I need another body, any suggestions? And can my lenses from my d500 work on new camera? I have the sigma, Nikon 55-200mm f/4 - 5.6 VR and Nikon 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6

Any help and/or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

pedroj

Post some images with exif data....I don't know what the lighting is like...

I work on a couple of things, Man running 1/250th of a sec so would probably use shutter priority and bump ISO up till the camera meters correct exposure...

Try this and there may be other ideas....I believe some of the Full Frame cameras are better at low light then DX cams...

Under exposed images produce more noise...The Sigma is a good lens and should help...

Last edited: