Any way to turn off the “Thread automatically updated every 5 second(s)” feature?

Bob Blaylock

I really do not need nor want a page to keep reloading every few seconds while I am trying to read it, nor do I want other tabs doing the same and bogging down my browser while I'm not reading them.

I've tried searching through the settings for anything about “automatically updating” pages, and found nothing. This is a very annoying and useless feature. I am more than capable of hitting my browser's “Refresh” button by myself on any tab that I actually want to refresh.

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member
Sorry you don't like the feature Bob. It's intended to let you see new posts without reloading the entire page on very active threads. You shouldn't actually see the page reloading. Are you? It should also automatically turn off when you have a page loaded but aren't doing anything with it, so it shouldn't be 'bogging down' anything either. What browser are you using?

Regardless, I'm going to ask the people that made it to add a feature that allows members to individually turn it off.

nickt

Just for the record I don't care for this either. It seems quirky with firefox, sometimes the little load icon spins endlessly. other times the page will do something that looks like a refresh and shift my reading spot so I lose my place. I often click on several nikonites links and leave them open all day for reading during my free moments. Sometimes when I get around to reading them, they are up to date and other times, a manual refresh updates the thread so I can't depend on it anyway and always manually refresh when I get back to reading my selections. I would like a way to turn it off.

Bob Blaylock

Just for the record I don't care for this either. It seems quirky with firefox, sometimes the little load icon spins endlessly. other times the page will do something that looks like a refresh and shift my reading spot so I lose my place. I often click on several nikonites links and leave them open all day for reading during my free moments. Sometimes when I get around to reading them, they are up to date and other times, a manual refresh updates the thread so I can't depend on it anyway and always manually refresh when I get back to reading my selections. I would like a way to turn it off.

That's pretty much what I have experienced, so far. On top of that, when I have several tabs open on this forum, my browser gets very boggy and unresponsive. I assume it's because all the tabs I'm not looking at are continually refreshing.

I'm using the latest version of TenFourFox, which is a build of Firefox for older PowerPC-based Macintoshes.

Horoscope Fish

I'd like to be able to shut off this "feature" as well.

I've had issues with re-loads popping up when I don't want them and that can be a little irritating.

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member
I'll have to see what the developer says.

If too many people find it inconvenient, I can just remove it too. :)

Nathan Lanni

I'll have to see what the developer says.

If too many people find it inconvenient, I can just remove it too. :)

Count me as voting very much in favor of doing so, as long as there's no individual option to turn it off.

My internet connection pretty fast so my system doesn't get bogged down, but not really sure I see the use of it. This site is the only one I'm aware of that has/uses this feature.

I find that reloading automatically is OK (I really like Auto-Saved), but there's been times when someone has added a comment after mine or while I'm still writing and the only way to see it is after I've completely reloaded the page - that is close the page and reopen it. This is a normal response at other forums anyway, sans the auto-refresh.

In Firefox does the same thing. It constantly spins. Thought I had it fixed last week but it only lasted a day. Only does it on this site. If I want ti click like I can only do it if I stop the page first.