Macro lens comparison

Scott Murray

I thought I would start this thread to see what the magnification/maximum reproduction ratio will be with my 90mm macro, then with Raynox DCR-250 and then compare it with an inverted 50mm lens and anyother lens combination that will fit on my reversing ring.

I will start with just the Tamron 90mm Macro.
Taken on D800E (FX)

(rest to follow once I get the bits and pieces)

SHM_1354.jpg

Last edited:

RockyNH_RIP

I thought I would start this thread to see what the minimum focus distance will be with my 90mm macro, then with Raynox DCR-250 and then compare it with an inverted 50mm lens and anyother lens combination that will fit on my reversing ring.

I will start with just the Tamron 90mm Macro.
Taken on D800E (FX)

(rest to follow once I get the bits and pieces)

Be interesting to see Scott. You may want to keep all the photos in one post so it is easier to compare..?? Just a thought, it was FREE! :)

Pat in NH

emm2600

I might be missing something but i think magnification/maximum reproduction ratio would be a better description for the tests than close focus distance.

The 1:1 on the Tamron is a given but with that said i am very interested to see the results from the Raynox and the 50mm. I've tried some bellows/extension rings myself but never thought to test them like this and have always wondered about the reversing ring.

Scott Murray

I might be missing something but i think magnification/maximum reproduction ratio would be a better description for the tests than close focus distance.

The 1:1 on the Tamron is a given but with that said i am very interested to see the results from the Raynox and the 50mm. I've tried some bellows/extension rings myself but never thought to test them like this and have always wondered about the reversing ring.

You are correct and I could not think of the wording ;) I am hoping all the gear will be at my home when I get back next week.

Scott Murray

I thought I would start this thread to see what the magnification/maximum reproduction ratio will be with my 90mm macro, then with Raynox DCR-250 and then compare it with an inverted 50mm lens and anyother lens combination that will fit on my reversing ring. I will start with just the Tamron 90mm Macro. Taken on D800E (FX) (rest to follow once I get the bits and pieces) View attachment 52833

Well this is a comparison shot with the 90mm macro and a reversed 50mm 1.4D

SHM_2631.jpg

Ironwood

Good stuff Scott, very innovative.

You seem to be getting quite good dof with that setup. What do you think ?

Does your diffuser let enough light through ? I have a piece of that stuff in a cupboard at work, a bit thinner than yours by the looks. Might have to bring it home tomorrow and try it out.

Scott Murray

Good stuff Scott, very innovative.

You seem to be getting quite good dof with that setup. What do you think ?

Does your diffuser let enough light through ? I have a piece of that stuff in a cupboard at work, a bit thinner than yours by the looks. Might have to bring it home tomorrow and try it out.
That diffuser works a treat, just dont look at it as the whole thing lights up. With out it the photos are dark as the flash gets blocked by the current set up. I am using the 50mm 1.4D at f/16 and the 90mm Tamron at f/11 to 22 I find that and ISO ranging from 100 to 400 and S/Speed of 1/320sec works well.

Scott Murray

Thats a big difference isnt it. I cant wait to bring that piece of foam home tomorrow and see what it can do for me.
Yes it does and the bonus is that for nearly all situations (night and day) I use these settings.

ISO 100 - 400
f/11 - 22
Exp comp +4.0
​And always flash and diffuser.

Ironwood

I will post some of my results tomorrow night.

Might have to look into buying a cheap manual 50 as well,...... come to think of it, I might have an old Pentax 50mm lens on a Ricoh SLR in the back of the cupboard, will have to see if it is still there.

Scott Murray

I will post some of my results tomorrow night.

Might have to look into buying a cheap manual 50 as well,...... come to think of it, I might have an old Pentax 50mm lens on a Ricoh SLR in the back of the cupboard, will have to see if it is still there.
Looking forward to your experimenting :)