Johnny Rotten

Browncoat

CJ-1.jpg

Testing out a new setup for kids. My son CJ got in on the action and let out a primal scream for the camera. That's not a wall with wallpaper, it's just a 5x7 fabric print hung over a backdrop stand with a 6' section of primed white base baseboard clamped at the bottom. That's not a wood floor either...it's just 1 box of assembled laminate flooring. The set is designed to look like a kid's bedroom, but you can easily swap out the backdrop for another pattern or put down some different flooring.

This is a little dark on the left side because the wife was sitting in front of one of my lights. CJ had just wreaked havoc on my studio and busted one of my lights, so she was on containment duty.

Browncoat

DIY instructions:

Backdrop
Quality fabric ain't cheap, but it's still a lot less expensive than a muslin backdrop. Make sure the to select fabric that:

• ​Is thick enough that it's not see-thru
  • Doesn't have a sheen that will reflect light
  • If it has a pattern, make sure it's BIG...small patterns will look mottled and confusing
I got this one @ the local Jo-Ann Fabrics. It was on sale for $11.99/yd. This piece is only 5x7, which is just barely wide enough for a single person, yet tall enough that I could use it for a 3/4 adult shot.

$35

Baseboard
This is just a 6ft section of primed white baseboard from Menard's. You don't need a long piece because any fabric you buy isn't going to be any wider than that. I forget the height on this, but I'm thinking it was around 3 3/8", which is taller than most. Just like with the fabric print, you want to be able to see it, so it has to be larger than average.

$6

Flooring
A single box of laminate flooring does the trick here. You want flooring with character and complements the backdrop color. I could use dozens of backdrop colors with the floor I chose, but I will probably pick up a darker colored flooring as well. Prices range widely on this stuff, depending on the quality. Pictured is Shaw Nature's Elements - Camden Hickory

$31/box

Hanging
I already have a backdrop stand. My horizontal hanging pole is in 3 sections and is 8 ft wide, which is too wide to clamp down the fabric on the sides to keep it taut. I bought a 10ft piece of 3/4" PVC pipe and cut it in half. After measuring and drilling holes 1" from the ends of the PVC, I could hang it on my stands, and viola...problem solved for just a couple bucks.