Video Question

donaldjledet

Is the D7100 a good video camera for shooting of family events and grandchildren?
Or is it better to just get a video camera that just shoots video?
I have the Nikkor 35mm 1.8 and 85mm 1.8, so if I use the D 7100 are these good for that? Or a zoom lens is better?
Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Maybe it's something you have to try? The cost is minimal. If it doesn't work then you know you might want to get a dedicated video camera.

WayneF

The optical quality of the DSLR will be second to none (ISO, etc). But the convenience of the controls might be better on the dedicated video camera. Just one opinion.

donaldjledet

Thanks I was thinking about that after I posted it.
Try the D7100 as I already have it. And if the out come is not to my liking I can then get video camera.
Again thanks for the replies.

RRRoger

It really depends on you.
Try the D7100 video first.

I have had many Video cameras and the only one I actually liked was the obsolete super 8 with tape.
All the DSLRs are better for my use.
Many only want a DSLR for stills and a VideoCam for home movies.
Others use their VideoCam for both.

PapaST

One thing I would focus on (pun intended) is the focusing. I don't play around with video generally, but when I do I find the focusing tough going (automatically... manually is a different story). Try videoing some moving objects and see if it's to your liking.

Nero

From what I've read, the D7100 takes videos that might not be good for serious videographers but is perfectly fine for the occasional video like this. Take some time to practice and get a feel for the D7100's video mode and you should be fine.