USB cable not included

Picnewb

Just bought my first DSLR tonight, opened it like a kid at Chrtistmas and found out it has no USB cord.

What is the best option to transfer pix from the camera to the puter? USB or the card reader

LensWork

Card reader, without a doubt. Transfer will be faster and you will not have to worry about having enough battery power left to complete the transfer. If you use a USB cable to transfer files direct from the camera and the camera's battery dies during the transfer it could corrupt the transfer and possibly the card.

If your computer does not a built-in SD card reader, and it has USB 3.0 ports, get a USB 3.0 reader as it will speed-up the transfer process.

Last edited:

Bill16

I bought my D3100 new and I didn't get a USB cable either! I had to buy one later. But I do use the USB cable with an adapter since I'm using my Xoom tablet to post process my shots. :)

Odd, when I got my D3100 it did come with the cable. When I got my refurbished D5100 I got another cable and my wife's CoolPix L120 came with the cable too. We now have three of them around here somewhere. I do use the cable for transfer. I really think it is faster by the time you have to open up the camera and remove the card and put it in the computer.

Scott Murray

Depending on which computer/laptop I am using and if I remember to put the SD card back in my D800E and not use the CF card all determines how I transfer my files.

carguy

That is supposed to be included with the camera. Did you buy it new?

But for now you will have to remove the SD card and insert it directly into your computer.
Maybe some models don't include them or it was somehow overlooked. Curious.

Go with a card reader in that case. Post some pics soon :)

Horoscope Fish

Card reader > USB Cable

Lots of manufacturers are no longer including standard cables any more as a cost-cutting measure. I'm almost annoyed when I do get a cable included because that's *usually* a sign of a proprietary cable/connector. And proprietary connectors is a topic you do NOT want to get me started on.

Picnewb

Card reader > USB Cable Lots of manufacturers are no longer including standard cables any more as a cost-cutting measure. I'm almost annoyed when I do get a cable included because that's *usually* a sign of a proprietary cable/connector. And proprietary connectors is a topic you do NOT want to get me started on.

LOL, not such a proprietary gadget fan either