View finder Issue.. Please Help

irdgr8

Hello,
I am newbie here as well in using DSLR.1 day before I bought D5200 through ebay.Right now I am facing a problem.In live view after clicking a shot its taking 3-5 seconds to come back to live view again.A few times it delayed upto 10seconds or more.Is it normal,Did I do any mistake,Or should I take it to service center.Its seems to be weird because after a shot I need to wait more to take another snap.Somebody Please guide me.The battery also seems not giving much backup.Please help

Thanks in advance..

LensWork

Depending upon your settings it can take some time for the image to be processed thereby slowing the camera down. Settings like Active-D lighting, HDR and others take time for the camera to process the image.

irdgr8

Hello,
Thanks for the reply.I have compared mine with my friend's d5100.It seems to be fast,infact just a blink only.First I thought it may be card issue,now I upgraded my sdhc card to sandisk ultra class 10 16gb.I really doubt either there will be something bothering.Since I am newbie I can't easily sort it.Can you please tell me what is the normal time delay in live view after a snap to view the screen again.Sometimes I doubt the camera is switched off,it won't respond till 5-10 seconds,Then the screen comes back.I am really confused..:(

Thank you

Browncoat

It's always going to have that delay. I'll try to explain this as generically as I can...

DSLRs are mechanical, not digital. When looking through the viewfinder, what you're looking at is coming straight through a lens, reflected off a mirror, then straight into your eye. You are in a sense, looking directly through the lens.

When using Live View, that same image has to be projected onto a digital screen, and the internal workings of the camera have to make that adjustment from the viewfinder to the screen on the back. Therefore, when you press the shutter button, the camera has to turn off the screen, re-focus, take the shot, then switch back to the screen again.

These are not digital point-and-shoot cameras. Learn to use the viewfinder, or you're going to be endlessly frustrated with Liveview.

irdgr8

Hello,
Thank you LensWork , I am sure I didn't enable HDR or Active-D lighting.Is there any option so that I can reset everything to normal settings like factory default in mobile phones??.Actually what happened means When I bought the camera my friends where playing around with it,so I doubt something might be messed..
Thank you
Browncoat for your great reply and encouragement,I will surely follow as you said,from now onwards I will be using view finder to snap things.Is there any suggestions so that my battery life can be saved??I just took nearly 40 snaps only and was viewing around the options and live view.Is that normal with battery.How can I save battery life? Thanks a gain.
Thank you Don Kuykendall for your reply..

If you hold down the MENU and INFO buttons (the two with the green dots) at the same time for a few seconds, you can quickly reset your D5200 to its basic settings.

You should be getting close to 500 shots using the view finder and not using the built in flash.

Something you really need to watch is Nikon | Imaging Products | Digitutor | D5200

this will get you a few basics.

Also READ your manual. It will answer all your questions.

nickt

Do you end up with a good picture after this delay? If not, I'm wondering if there is not enough light and you are experiencing a long exposure time plus processing. If this was a long exposure, you would most likely end up with a very bad picture unless you happened to be using a tripod. A few seconds is normal. Longer than a few seconds makes me think there was not enough light and a slow shutter speed was involved.

LensWork

Is there any option so that I can reset everything to normal settings like factory default in mobile phones??

From the D5200 owner's manual:

The camera settings listed below and on page 54 can be restored to default values by holding the Menu and -i- buttons down together for more than two seconds (these buttons are marked by a green dot). The information display turns off briefly while settings are reset.