Any advice on video taking for baby delivery on the D7100?

kiawui

​Dear All,

My wife will be due soon and I am planning to do a video with my DSLR. I notice that while it can make very nice video with nice effects that normal compact video mode cannot attain, the process itself is quite different.

I do have two lens for this so which is a better lens to take video? 50mm f1.8 or 16-85mm f3.5-5.6? I am leaning towards the zoom lens because of the zooming capability for more versatility but not sure if the f3.5-5.6 will be of any hindrance to correct exposure.

Any other advice will be greatly appreciated.

Use the zoom and don't share the video with us. I saw both of my children being born. That was enough.

Congratulations. Actually being present for the birth of my children was one of the highlights of my life. It was a big deal and still not widely accepted when my first child was born 33 years ago. We had to go to a different town 60 miles away to have a doctor and hospital that would allow father in the delivery room. Carry a tripod so you can set the camera up and let it run because if I remember correctly you may not have a lot of time to be playing with a camera.

Moab Man

I do videography, or use to. Let me give you a few pointers.

First, don't use a fire hose. What I mean is people get the video camera going and like they are holding a fire hose they start moving that camera all over the place and you only make people sick. To go along with fire hosing, apply the same rules to the zoom. Zoom when you must, but don't do it anymore than you NEED. Makes it far more pleasant for whomever is going to watch it when you apply these two rules.

Second, use a tripod - due to room constraints this may not be possible. If you have to do hand held do a quick search on youtube for proper technique when hand holding, filming, and turning. There is a lot to it.

Third, shoot a little more than you think you need on both the front and the end. It gives you something to work with for editing.

Fourth, and this is the hardest. You have to remove yourself from the event that is going on to get good video (however I am not facing the wrath of you lady if you heed this advice). Do not talk while holding the camera, you're too close to the microphone. Concentrate on keeping your target framed properly. People get excited and before you know it they are looking around the side of the camera to see with their eyes and before long the camera is shooting the wall. Short example of being focused. When I would record wrestling matches people would always come up and ask me what happened, who got what point, etc... I would then tell them I have no idea who was wrestling, what happened, or even who won. My job was to keep the action framed and NOT to be watching the action - hope that makes sense.

Anyway, congratulations and practice these techniques before the big event. It will really make a difference between watching the video footage during an earthquake versus something pleasant.

kiawui

Thank you everyone for the comments.

@Moab Man: Any advice in the mode to use, metering type and aperture setting?

Roy1961

Contributor
stupid question, does the hospital allow you to video, i have heard some dont allow it??

edit ignore if this is a home birth:D

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
I might get flamed for this but I'll say what I think.

I think that you will miss a lot of the actual event if you are filming it. The event should be lived, not filmed because it's so special but not necessarily visually and graphically beautiful.
Your wife might need more of your presence than the presence of a film camera… I'm sure that taking pictures of the newborn with mother will be nice, but the actual birth on video… I wonder.

Again, just my personal opinion, but something to discuss with your wife.

Congratulations by the way, I don't know it this will be your first child, but I'll tell you that being there will change your life forever.

Moab Man

Thank you everyone for the comments.

@Moab Man: Any advice in the mode to use, metering type and aperture setting?

I can not make any suggestions. I don't use picture cameras for video. I don't even know where that mode is on my camera. I know it has it, but no idea where. And like photographing, each shoot is different with different factors.

Sorry I can't be more help.

Last edited:

kiawui

For me, there is no stupid questions. Only stupid replies. If you cannot provide a productive or suggestive answer, maybe it's better to not reply at all.

@Marcel: You have a good point there. I shall check with the hospital about the possibility of placing a tripod and let it roll by itself. Otherwise, I will just pass the filming and enjoy the moment.

Thank you to those who provided constructive comments.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
For me, there is no stupid questions. Only stupid replies. If you cannot provide a productive or suggestive answer, maybe it's better to not reply at all.

@Marcel: You have a good point there. I shall check with the hospital about the possibility of placing a tripod and let it roll by itself. Otherwise, I will just pass the filming and enjoy the moment.

Thank you to those who provided constructive comments.

If you do, don't forget that the maximum time it can film without stopping is 20 minutes.

Best for your wife and you! Let us know how it went after the baby is there and don't worry, you'll have plenty of chances to film and photograph the baby while it grows up, and they do that quite fast you'll find out soon enough.