D5000 indoor photo questions

DEB

I have just purchased the nikon d5000 and was asked to take several pictures for some friends. I'm trying to find out what's the best setting for inside family photos. Should i just take shots using the p mode for programmed or should i get brave and use the apperture mode and lower the f to it's lowest setting and if so should i change the iso setting to 400 or 800. Any suggestings would be helpful.

Joseph Bautsch

Hello DEB and welcome to the Nikonites Community. Yep, we need to know what lens you are using before we can determine what settings are needed. You say inside photos, can you give us an idea of how much light and what type, incandescent, fluorescent, etc. Also if you would please complete your profile at least with your camera, lens and any other equipment you are using. That makes it easier for us to answer your questions.

DEB

The room is fairly light. Cream walls with recessed can lights and center light. Standard lighting. I have the Nikon 600 flash. They're wanting pictures in front of a fireplace.

Last edited by a moderator:

Joseph Bautsch

OK, your response, pictures in front of a fireplace, indicates this is to be an informal portrait? The lighting you describe is not great especially with the lenses you have to use. The 18-55mm is the best one for this situation. I would use the SB600 flash. I would use the flash wide angle diffuser, it pulls out from the top of the flash head and drops down in front. I would also snap on the light diffuser that came with it. Use auto white balance. Check the users manual for flash settings. If you don't have time to get into what settings to use set the mode dial on Auto and let the camera make the exposure. I would set the people at least three feet or more in front of the fire place. Otherwise you will get flash shadows behind them. Hope this helps.

Carolina Photo Guy

OK, your response, pictures in front of a fireplace, indicates this is to be an informal portrait? The lighting you describe is not great especially with the lenses you have to use. The 18-55mm is the best one for this situation. I would use the SB600 flash. I would use the flash wide angle diffuser, it pulls out from the top of the flash head and drops down in front. I would also snap on the light diffuser that came with it. Use auto white balance. Check the users manual for flash settings. If you don't have time to get into what settings to use set the mode dial on Auto and let the camera make the exposure. I would set the people at least three feet or more in front of the fire place. Otherwise you will get flash shadows behind them. Hope this helps.

THIS is why you are my hero!!!

I got chills!

Okay, I'll hush up now.

Pete

Carolina Photo Guy

The HIGHEST compliment!

I joke around a lot (REALLY?), but I admire someone that know their s**t and you came across as just exactly that.

I would follow your advice in a heartbeat.

Dude, I trust you.

No kidding.

Pete

Joseph Bautsch

Pete, humor is not a quality that I possess. When I try it usually falls flat. So I admire anyone who can be humorous such as yourself. I appreciate your confidence in my words which hopefully are correct and certainly not the only way to do things.

Carolina Photo Guy

I know that your way is not the only way. How-ever, I am confident that it is one way that will work.

At least, if I try your techniques, then I will have an image that I can work with to screw up to my high standards!

I'm sorry. I just cannot turn off the humor switch. It like those damn bunny batteries! It just keeps going and going and...!

Pete

PhotoAV8R

Why don't you guys get a room? :cool:

Nyuk, nyuk, nyuk.

But, serious, thanks for the great reply, Joe!

And, Deb, let us see how it turns out. Without pictures, it didn't happen!

fotojack

<quote>I would also snap on the light difuser that came with it<quote>
Joe, what snap on difuser comes with an SB-600 flash? I certainly didn't get one when I bought mine new. Could you explain, please?

Joseph Bautsch

OK, my bad. I thought Nikon supplied a diffuser with all the SB series flashes. Evidently not so. The diffuser is available for the SB600 for about $7.60 including shipping. It's available aftermarket on buy.com.